UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor solis_f
Visitor

Stuck on reset - Base Microblaze example project

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I'm using a Kintex 7 (xc7k325tffg900-2) and Vivado 2018.3 on windows 10 (build 1809). I'm trying to implement a simple "Hello World" through serial port on this FPGA but it seems like a dead-end. I have followed every single tutorial on Xilinx, I have read every single manual and still cannot find the problem.

EDIT: My FPGA is this one https://solutions.inrevium.com/products/base/kintex7/tb-7k-325t-img.html

This what I thought would help me:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/microblaze.html#overview

Let me break it down for you:

I open Vivado and start a new project.

I choose open example project and choose the base microblaze design

base.jpg

which is just a microblaze with GPIO(8bit leds) and Uartlite (rs232). Then I choose:

kintex7.jpg

which clearly states my parts number (so it must be compatible with my fpga).

I then press implement design and follow the steps as suggested by the example project

example.jpg

After the bit file is ready I export the hardware and open Xilinx SDK.

Next step, create an application project:

ap.jpghello.jpg

I build everything, I program the fpga and then configure the sdk terminal as a serial port

com.jpg

After that, I right click on the application and select "Run as Hardware (system Debugger)"  as stated in the tutorial and this is the error I get:

error.jpg

In case I was not clear enough at the beginning let me repeat it. I read everything about this, google, forums etc. I changed the reset polarity a thousand times, I even tried to put constants on reset but nothing works, no compination got ever past this error. There must be something else that I'm missing.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to solving this...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Stuck on reset - Base Microblaze example project

Jump to solution

While the FPGA is the same, the board you selected in Vivado (KC705) is completely different from the Inrevium board.

The pin placement for clock, reset, buttons, and leds is not the same.

You cannot target the KC705 in Vivado for your board. You would need to target the actual FPGA, then create the design and finally assign the correct pins for the clock, reset, and different features in your design.

Also, you could contact Inrevium and ask if they have a Vivado board file for your board. That would allow you to target your board when starting a new design in Vivado.

Regards,

Christophe

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Stuck on reset - Base Microblaze example project

Jump to solution

While the FPGA is the same, the board you selected in Vivado (KC705) is completely different from the Inrevium board.

The pin placement for clock, reset, buttons, and leds is not the same.

You cannot target the KC705 in Vivado for your board. You would need to target the actual FPGA, then create the design and finally assign the correct pins for the clock, reset, and different features in your design.

Also, you could contact Inrevium and ask if they have a Vivado board file for your board. That would allow you to target your board when starting a new design in Vivado.

Regards,

Christophe

View solution in original post