UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Use AXI SmartConnect instead of AXI Interconnect on wiki 'Linux DMA from user space'

Jump to solution

On the XIlinx wiki page 'Linux DMA from user space', I found a block diagram on how to connect the AXI DMA with the Zynq UltraScale+

I'm wondering why the S_AXI_LITE interface of the AXI DMA IP is connect through the 'old' AXI Interconnect IP, and not using the new 'AXI SmartConnect' IP. 

Q1 : Is there any specific reason to use the 'old' AXI InterConnect? Would it work equally well (or better?) with an 'AXI SmartConnect'?

Q2 : if 'yes', then would having an AXI SmartConnect require any adaption to the provided software example code on that wiki page? Or is this fully tranpsarant to the enitre software layer? 

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Use AXI SmartConnect instead of AXI Interconnect on wiki 'Linux DMA from user space'

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

On the Wiki page, the block diagram uses AXI Interconnect between the M_AXI_HPM0_FPD port on the Zynq US+ PS and the S_AXI_LITE on AXI DMA because the connection wizard in Vivado at that time automatically instantiated AXI Interconnects for AXI-Lite interfaces. It was more of a passive design choice. The tools push the user that direction because there is ongoing work with SmartConnect to AXI4-Lite to make it as resource efficient as AXI Interconnect.

From a software perspective, the choice between AXI Interconnect and SmartConnect is transparent. The software shouldn't need to change. 

Regards,

Deanna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Use AXI SmartConnect instead of AXI Interconnect on wiki 'Linux DMA from user space'

Jump to solution

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/AXI-Infrastructure/Converting-from-AXI4-Interconnect-to-SmartConnect-causes-design/td-p/936725

I still use Interconnects everywhere. To put that in perspective, I got my first smart phone this past September.

-Joe G.

Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

thanks @jg_bds for that link, I added a question to that thread to learn about the difference and different use cases of both interconnects, it's quiet confusing. Looks like the SmartConnect tries to be 'smarter' somehow than the 'old' AXI interconnect, but I'm not yet sure how / why. It looks a bit easier to connect (less clock pins etc). But I'm looking for some explanation on the diffs :-)

it may be very smart of you to wait so long to buy a smart-phone :-) Still not sure if we really needed this :-)

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

On the Wiki page, the block diagram uses AXI Interconnect between the M_AXI_HPM0_FPD port on the Zynq US+ PS and the S_AXI_LITE on AXI DMA because the connection wizard in Vivado at that time automatically instantiated AXI Interconnects for AXI-Lite interfaces. It was more of a passive design choice. The tools push the user that direction because there is ongoing work with SmartConnect to AXI4-Lite to make it as resource efficient as AXI Interconnect.

From a software perspective, the choice between AXI Interconnect and SmartConnect is transparent. The software shouldn't need to change. 

Regards,

Deanna

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.