UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar golson
Scholar

Use BSB and Merge to larger FPGA design

Hi,
  I would like to use Base System Builder to create a Microcontroller System as a component of a FPGA design.  Then I would like to merge this design into
a larger design where other parts of the design may be independent of the Microcontroller system.  More specifically,  I have a ML505 Board.  I am looking at
adding ethernet to the FPGA design.  I found these example designs using the Core Generator tools.  The Design is not targeting a particular board so there
is a requirement to develop a UCF file to add the Ethernet design to a ML505 board.  I would like to add a microcontroller to the FPGA design also.  But for the
time being I would add the independent ethernet design with the microcontroller design.  This might help integrate the FPGA into the ML505 board since a UCF
file is created for the micro part of the design.  I would have to add some new design parts to get the example design for the ethernet parts to work in the FPGA too.

How should I start.

Thank You,
  Gary Olson

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar golson
Scholar

Re: Use BSB and Merge to larger FPGA design

So Far, I have created a base band design.  I pulled out the system.v system_stub.v and NGC files that were in the implementation directory and created
a new XST design with these files in the project.  I implemented the XST design with place and route with no problems.  My next step is to add to the design.
I will create a new level of hierarchy above this design to add my other design example and include the UCF that was in the base band design.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I believe you are taking the right approach by creating a hierarchical design to have 2 independent components. I have a silmilar design requirement, but I would like to know how I share logic between components. Say I have a simple input register in logic, some combinatorial logic, and an output register. How do I structure my VHDL design to have the microblaze read the input register and write to the output register?
0 Kudos
Scholar golson
Scholar

I take a guess at it.  I think I would use the GPIO in the IP catalog and add it to the design after you create a design using BSB.  This would be a port for inputs and outputs on the Microblaze system.
I am also trying to figure this out.  But I am going to try this above. 

By the way I am having some trouble creating two independent components because the ethernet MAC needs reset and clk.  I tried to share the sys_reset and sys_clk pins with both
modules.  But both modules are designed standalone, that is these independent modules create IBUFGs for the resets and clocks.  This causes errors during place and route.  a signal
can't have two IBUFGs is the error that I get.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Is there a specific reason to generate EMAC from Coregen instead of using XPS_LL_TEMAC in EDK? If you add this core in BSB, it should wire up the clock and the reset outputs for you; which you could then connect to the PHY.
0 Kudos
Scholar golson
Scholar

I wanted to test the coregen example design.  However, the design was not setup for the ML505 board.  I thought I should try to learn how I might be able to integrate
independent logic, and a microcontroller together.  I also thought that the ML505 board must have a microcontroller on the board to set up the peripherals especially
the clock generation circuitry.  I don't think I can get the example design in coregen to work without a microcontroller to set up the board.

That is why I wanted both designs together.  And the Coregen design was set up to work in a loopback mode without a HOST interface so I could see if I can send and receive packets
through the Ethernet MAC

0 Kudos