UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

VIvado 2014.1: How to update user custom IP from repository

Jump to solution

I have created a custom IP in IP repository.  Then I instantiated the IP into a block design.  After that, I made some changes to the IP's HDL files in the repository.

How do I get Vivado to update its local copy of the IP from the repository again?

Neo 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VIvado 2014.1: How to update user custom IP from repository

Jump to solution

Right click on "design_1" block design and click on "reset output procucts" followed by "generate output products".

Thanks.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
30 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Dear Neo,

Refresh the IP repository and regenerate the IP output products. Check if the HDL changes are replicated in IP sources.

Capture.PNG

Another way of editing the user IP is right click on the user IP in block design and select "Edit in IP Packager". This opens IP Packager project, make HDL changes and repackage IP. This closes the IP Packager project and the original project will be updated automatically.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Next Review and Package the IP, by clicking on the Re-Package Button.In the project, Reset Output Products, and Re-Generate Output Products, and Generate the Top level HDL wrapper.(Attached screenshot)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I followed your instructions and it generated new HDL files within my project.

However, it seems the previous version HDL files are retained.  Vivado copies my_custom_ip's HDL files from repository into project's local directory, under a randomly generated folder name.  The path is like this: 

/project_name/project_name.srcs/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/my_custom_ip_v1_0/<randomly-named folder>/hdl

When I regenerated the outputs, Vivado simply generated a new randomly-named folder  and placed the new HDL files into it. It does not delete the original randomly-named folder.

1) How am I sure that Vivado uses the new HDL files to generate outputs, when both HDL folders are randomly named?

2) What is the intention of using a randomly named folder to house IP HDL files?

3) Must I retain the old randomly-named folder for Vivado to work properly?  Can I delete it?

4) If I don't delete old randomly-named folders, can I tell which is the current one being used to generated the outputs simply by looking at the random string?

Neo

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried several times.  Your method does not work.

From within my project, I selected my IP and ran <Edit in IP Packager>.  Vivado prompts me to create a project in the same directory as the IP in order to work on the IP, so I followed.  I modified the IP's HDL file in repository by simply adding white spaces and saving.  Finally I went to "Review and Package" and ran <Re-Package IP>.  Then I was returned to the original project automatically.

In my project "IP Status" window, I ran <Rerun> to refresh.  and "Current Version" show an increment in the "Rev. " numbering.  The changes to HDL files are not reflect in the local copies held in folder "myproject.src/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/myip_v1_0".

I ran <Reset Runs>  on Synth_1 and <Run Implementation> to completion.  Again the changes to HDL files are not reflect in the local copies held in folder "myproject.src/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/myip_v1_0.

Did I miss out anything?

Neo

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Neo,

Did you regenerate the User IP files in original project after coming back from "Edit in IP Packager"?

Can you check the RTL files from with in the project (Sources --> IP sources) window?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

How do you regenerate User IP files in original project?

I cannot see RTL files from Sources->IP Sources.  The top level for my IP inside this window is myip.xci.  When I double click on this XCI file, a dialog box pops up "Open the Block Design first to re-customize this IP".  It does not open a RTL file.

Neo

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Right click on IP and select "generate output products". Even after this u dont see the files, attach snapshot here.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

My screen does not have that option.

screencap.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Right click on the block design in IP sources tab as shown below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

The option is greyed out.  screencap.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Right click on "design_1" block design and click on "reset output procucts" followed by "generate output products".

Thanks.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes it is working now.

Neo

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

This solution does not work for me in Vivado 2014.4... It only deletes the VHO files in the bd/design_1/ip folder.

To get the HDL sources to updates I've had to manually delete our user ip folder from the "ipshared" folder of the design.

Is there a better way?

Martin Thompson
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.co.uk/capabilities/electronic-hardware
0 Kudos
Visitor zhon1231
Visitor

Jump to solution

I am also using Vivado 2014.4 and this does not work for me.  I have a top level block diagram that uses custom IP.  After modifying the source files used in my custom IP, doing a "Reset Output Products" -> "Generate Output Products" on the top level block diagram did not re-copy the source files.  The only reliable way for me to get this to work is to delete the entire project file, re-create it, sourcing the block diagram TCL file, and then generating the output products again.  Is there a better way to do this?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

After you update the source of custom IP you need to repackage it.

After you repackage custom IP, assuming you left your original project open, you need to refresh the ip repository so that the project knows a new version is vailable

Then you need to run IP uptade to actually update to your new version of your IP.

Then you can regenerate output products of BD.

0 Kudos
Visitor zhon1231
Visitor

Jump to solution

I modified the source code by right clicking the IP and then going to "Edit in IP Packager".  I added a new comment to the file and then repackaged it.  My original project was still open because "Edit in IP Packager" opens a project to edit the IP.  Then I refreshed the IP repository and run "report_ip_status", but it doesn't show that my custom IP needs to be upgraded.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I see. In that case I dont think report_ip_status should show that you are out of date becuase I believe the 'Edit in IP Packager' mode is supposed to auto update it.

Does the IP revision correctly increment?

You could try reset_project.

0 Kudos
Visitor zhon1231
Visitor

Jump to solution

reset_project also did not work for me.  Have you ever had this problem with Vivado 2014.4?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have only every used 2014.2.  Additionally I very rarely use the 'Edit in IP Packager' feature.  I typically start a new, standalone, project for each IP I make and I go back to that project in order to make changes.  Its an incredibly tedious and cumbersome process, but it gives consistent results. 

0 Kudos
Visitor sherif123
Visitor

Jump to solution

I think in order to successfully update the files inthe current project you have to do all the steps mentioned in the previous replies.

I do the following

After I modify the files in the repo, I return to the project and then open Project settings>IP and then click on refresh all and refresh repositories.

Then in the IP status, I select my IP and click Upgrade selected.

Then from IP Sources, on my design I right click and select Reset Output Products. Then again right click and select Generate Output Products

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothing works. I am using vivado 2014.4. The only way I can

get vivado to update the IP is by deleting the IP in the block design and readding it which is very painful.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Still an issue in Vivado 2015.4.2!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

This is still an issue in 2016.1

My standard workflow is:

- edit in IP packager

- refresh repositories

- update IP

- reset output products

- generate output products

- open source file from the design hierarchy, and discover that my changes are not there.

So, I frequently have to erase the imported IP (outside of Vivado), and regenerate the products. This is really problematic.

I suspect it has something to do with my IP source being outside of the Vivado project tree. My IP is drawn from directories which are kept completely separate from the project tree, so that they can be managed under revision control (yet another Vivado pain point). 

I've also seen that when editing in the IP packager, if I add a new source file, all of the current source paths for the IP get changed to absolute paths. In order to get rid of the warning that the packager then creates, I have to go through the properties of all source files and change them all back to relative paths. Perhaps this is related to the refresh problem?

Charlie

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Bump. This needs to be fixed. It is wasting an enormous amount of my time.

Thanks,

Stacey
0 Kudos
Visitor fengyuehchan
Visitor

Jump to solution

@sherif123 thanks for the solution. Your solutions works for me. Vivado 2015.2

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I also still have problems with this in Vivado 2016.3. I think its mostly the simulation that is affected. I am using the following TCL script to reset everything every time I change any IP:

set base_dir [get_property DIRECTORY [current_project]]
set prj_name [get_property NAME [current_project]]

# Reset BD
reset_target all [get_files -filter {IS_GENERATED == 0} *.bd]

# Delete IP files
exec rm -Rf $base_dir/${prj_name}.srcs/sources_1/ipshared
exec rm -Rf $base_dir/${prj_name}.ip_user_files

# Reset IP instances
reset_target all [get_files  $base_dir/${prj_name}.srcs/sources_1/ip/*.xci]
export_ip_user_files -of_objects  [get_files  $base_dir/${prj_name}.srcs/sources_1/ip/*.xci] -sync -no_script -force -quiet

# Generate targets
generate_target all [get_files -filter {IS_GENERATED == 0} *.bd]
generate_target all [get_files  $base_dir/${prj_name}.srcs/sources_1/ip/*.xci]

# Update ip catalog
update_ip_catalog -rebuild

This seems to solve all problems. I use this script with Vivado for Linux. I think the "exec rm ..." lines must be adapted for Windows.

0 Kudos
Observer xminer
Observer

Jump to solution

Really? This is the solution?  This seems like a bug in vivado.  Having a TCL script to rm the files is really ugly.

The developers should fix this in the product itself.  I am using 2017.4 and still have this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

First go to settings -> IP -> Refresh IP Repository -> Apply. Right click on 'design_1' -> Reset Output Products. After selecting 'Reset Output Products', we have to update IP status using Tools -> Report -> Report IP status -> select the updated IP and click upgrade selected. Then right-click on 'design_1' and select generate output products. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm running into the same issue with 2018.2.2.  I'm using the same methodology that worked with older versions of Vivado and is now broken.  The instructions to "Reset Output Products" doesn't work worth a flip. The tool still retains stale copies of the sub-block created when the top level project was initially created and therefore fails synthesis when changes are made to a sub-block.

I was blowing away the top level and having to re-create the top level project each time one of the sub-blocks changed.  You can imaginge the time wasted having to do this.  I've found a way that works that doesn't require a rebuild of the top level project on a Windows 10 platform.

The Tool creates a subdirectory in the project folder where all sub-block files are placed.  The folder will be named with whatever is the top level folder on the Drive your project is on.  I don't know why the tool does this but it could potentially create a very long pathname that could be problematic on 32 bit machines.  DELETE THIS FOLDER.  Its where the stale files that aren't being updated are kept.

In the Top Level Project with the Block Design opened,  use either refresh IP Catalog or Reports => Report IP Status to get the Top Level Project to identify the sub-block has changed and needs to be upgraded.  select UPGRADE SELECTED in the IP Status tab in the lower area of the Vivado GUI. 

The Generate Output Products dialog box should open.  Hit Skip.  Hitting OK results in the tool churning and churning. 

Instead click on "Generate Block Design" under IP Integrator in the Flow Navigation Panel

This kicks off the update for the updated sub-block. 

When this completes, Run Synthesis .

Hope this works for you.  Would be curious if this issue occurs on Linux platforms.

(PS:  I tried pasting in screenshots but they didn't show)

0 Kudos