UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer leroyworld1
Observer

ZC702 - Error booting SDCard when USB Jtag cable is not connected

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have developed an application that starts as soon as the operating system is loaded (Zynq release 2014.2). Everything was going as expected when debugging.

Then we tried to embed the board in a rack, so that I had to disconnect the debugging USB that was connected to JTAG Uart. It turned out disconnecting this cable stops the system from booting and It gets halted in u-boot mode and I'm puzzled because it makes no sense.

Is this behaviour normal? Any idea why this might be happening? If I reconnect the cable and reboot the system all works as it should...

Thank you,
Regars.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer leroyworld1
Observer

Re: ZC702 - Error booting SDCard when USB Jtag cable is not connected

Jump to solution

Hello,

I appreciate your help guys, finally the problem was solved.

I dismounted the rack so I could accesss the board and see what was happening. It turned out the guy who used this board before was hacking around with it, so it has some tiny cables attached to the circuitry. Checking the datasheets I observed two of those cables were connected to TxD and RxD from serial port... Then I asked the guy and told me he was using the serial port directly from PL side and that's how he did it.

All I had to do was configure the Unused UIB pins as pull-up in the bitstream generation step and voilà, it worked. Curious, isn't it? hehe
The comment about the floating RxD pin lighted up the way ;)

Thank you again.

Greetings,
Brais.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

you have no jtag uart or USB UART?

if you have RXD pin floating or pulled low, or NOT pulled high, then removing UART cable (USB UART) would make boot stop in uboot.

Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution

What does your boot mode (SW16) switch look like?

Also, how does SW10 look?

zc702_boot_mode.png
zc702_sw10.png
0 Kudos
Observer leroyworld1
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick answers and excuse me for explaining it so brief.

I'm talking about disconnecting the cable from the "Mini USB port J17 labeled USB UART on" where I was using a PuTTY terminal.

The boot mode is SD Card ('00110') and the programming option is Digilent USB-to-JTAG interface U23 ('10'), but I'm not using the last one, given that I'm loading the FPGA design directly from SD Card on booting.

@trenz-al so I guess you might be right and I have the RXD pin floating. What would be the best way to solve this?

Thank you once again. Regards,
Brais.

0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

does not apply to your case... if you unplug the USB cable to the USB UART, then the UART bridge chip should keep RXD not active,, well it should :)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Please check whether the information in the following AR http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/50650.html is helpful for your case.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Observer leroyworld1
Observer

Jump to solution

@trenz-al uh oh :( thank you for trying to help me though.

@umamahe That's not going to be the cause as I've got all files located in the root. Besides everything works well and it boots correctly when that cable is attached.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Could you please try with other system & cable and confirm that there is no problem in System Bios and cable

The below are some suggestions before removing cable. (FYI: I am not sure about the below workaround because it was not meant for ZC702 booting halt problem. But you may try and check once as a trial and error basis)

1) From the "JTAG Chain" pulldown, uncheck "Auto Core Status Poll"

2) From the "JTAG Chain" pulldown, choose "Close Cable"

3) You may now remove the cable

When putting the cable back, do the following:

1) Reconnect Cable

2) Choose "Open Cable" from the "JTAG Chain" pulldown

3) Recheck "Auto Core Status Poll"

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

Observer leroyworld1
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I appreciate your help guys, finally the problem was solved.

I dismounted the rack so I could accesss the board and see what was happening. It turned out the guy who used this board before was hacking around with it, so it has some tiny cables attached to the circuitry. Checking the datasheets I observed two of those cables were connected to TxD and RxD from serial port... Then I asked the guy and told me he was using the serial port directly from PL side and that's how he did it.

All I had to do was configure the Unused UIB pins as pull-up in the bitstream generation step and voilà, it worked. Curious, isn't it? hehe
The comment about the floating RxD pin lighted up the way ;)

Thank you again.

Greetings,
Brais.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos