UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Zynq 7 Purpose of AXI FIFO Interfaces

Hello,

As far as I understand the Zynq 7 Processing System supports up to 4 HP (High Performance) AXI MM slave interfaces.

But with every enabled HP interface I see that a corresponding FIFO CTRL interface also shows up in the block design's GUI.

What's the purpose of the FIFO CTRL interface ? 

zynq_fifo.JPG
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Zynq 7 Purpose of AXI FIFO Interfaces

Hello @shaikon 

I have attached a link to a forum question that will help answer your question. I also attached a link to the Zynq-7000 SoC Technical Reference Manual they reference in the forum. 

Forum: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Processor-System-Design/What-is-S-AXI-HP0-FIFO-CTRL-interface/td-p/380317

UG585 TRM: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug585-Zynq-7000-TRM.pdf

I hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

I came across this thread before posting.

Unfortunately it didn't fully explain the necessity of the FIFO ports.

For example:

"The logic signals, SAXIHP{0-3}RDISSUECAP1_EN and SAXIHP{0-3}WRISSUECAP1_EN allow you to
change the issuing capability of the AFI block to the PS dynamically between two levels."

When should these FIFOs be written to or read from ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@shaikon 

Of course. I will work on finding you a sufficient answer to your question, so thank you for your patience. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@shaikon 

From the TRM, these ports are described as follows...

"High Performance ports (AXI_HP) with
read/write FIFOs and two dedicated
memory ports on DDR controller and
a path to the OCM. "

A colleague has also explained that these parts allows for additional control/visibility of the FIFOs going into the PS. He also mentions that this is only ever used when advanced flow control is needed. 

I hope this helps clarify the need for the ports! 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.