UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor nils-genser
Visitor

Zynq HLS <-> Vivado SDK transmission problem (s_axilite)

Jump to solution

Hello,

first of all I want to introduce myself. I'm an experienced software engineer, but I

don't have much practical knowledge in programming FPGAs (only a VHDL course

at university). To be able to play around with the Zybo Zynq I've read the Zynq-Book

and did the tutorials.

Now I want to do design a program (Xilinx SDK) that calculates the mean of two vectors.

On the one hand this is done in software using the ARM chip and on the other I build an

accelerator using Vivado HLS. Following the instructions from ug902 (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf)

I'm using s_axilite interfaces for the ports. You can find the implementation and the Test-bench attached

(meanCalc.c,meanCalcTestbench.c).

Simulation, Synthesis, Co-Design & IP-Export seem to be working.

After that I used Vivado to create my design attached as MeanCalculation.pdf.

At the end, I've exported the bitfile to the SDK and implemented my program

(HW-SW.c).

Here I'm getting into trouble, because the accelerator delivers wrong results.

I'm looking forward for your help!

Best regards

Nils

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor nils-genser
Visitor

Re: Zynq HLS <-> Vivado SDK transmission problem (s_axilite)

Jump to solution

Thanks, I found my problem.

When I started, I used a loop and transmitte value after value.

That why, I used the offset variable i. After setting the offset to zero,

the code seems to be working!

For completeness here is the working piece of code:

int main() {
    init_platform();

printf("Look Up the device configuration\n\r");
    meanHWConfig = XMeanaccelerator_LookupConfig(XPAR_XMEANACCELERATOR_0_DEVICE_ID);
    if (!meanHWConfig) {
		print("ERROR: Lookup of accelerator configuration failed.\n\r");
		return XST_FAILURE;
    }

printf("Initialize the Device\n\r");
    int status = XMeanaccelerator_CfgInitialize(&meanHW, meanHWConfig);
    if (status != XST_SUCCESS) {
		print("ERROR: Could not initialize accelerator.\n\r");
		return XST_FAILURE;
    }

printf("Create and fill test arrays\n\r");
	int vec1[vec_size];
	int vec2[vec_size];
	unsigned int i;
	for (i = 0; i < vec_size; i++) {
		vec1[i] = i;
		vec2[i] = i+10;
	}

// Calculate mean in software
	int sum1 = 0;
	int sum2 = 0;
	unsigned int j;
	for (j = 0; j < vec_size; j++) {
		sum1 += vec1[j];
		sum2 += vec2[j];
	}
	int mean1 = sum1 / vec_size;
	int mean2 = sum2 / vec_size;

printf("Send data to HW\n\r");
	printf("Vec1 wrote: %u\n", XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec1_Words(&meanHW, 0, vec1, vec_size));
	printf("Vec2 wrote: %u\n", XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec2_Words(&meanHW, 0, vec2, vec_size));

printf("Start HW accelerator\n\r");
	XMeanaccelerator_Start(&meanHW);
	int mean1HW = -1, mean2HW = -1;
	do {
	} while (!XMeanaccelerator_IsDone(&meanHW));
	mean1HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean1(&meanHW);
	mean2HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean2(&meanHW);

printf("Statistics\r\n");
	printf("sum1 = %d\n", sum1);
	printf("sum2 = %d\n", sum2);
	printf("mean1:   SW = %d, HW = %d\r\n", mean1, mean1HW);
	printf("mean2:   SW = %d, HW = %d\r\n", mean2, mean2HW);
	if (mean1 == mean1HW && mean2 == mean2HW) {
		printf("SUCCESS");
		return 0;
	} else {
		printf("FAIL");
		return 1;
	}

cleanup_platform();
    return 0;
}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

in hw-sw.c move the get_rv_meanX calls after the check for _IsDone and see if that helps.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor nils-genser
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

thanks for your fast reply.

I changed the code to the listing below:

// Start HW block

// Wait until HW block finishes calculation
do {

// Create some additional delay before reading values
for (j = 0; j < 10000; j++) {
	printf(" ");
}

// Receive values from HW block
int mean1HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean1(&meanHW);
int mean2HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean2(&meanHW);

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The output is as follows:

Look Up the device configuration

Initialize the Device

Create and fill test arrays

Send data to HW

Start HW accelerator

Statistics
sum1 = 499500
sum2 = 509500
mean1:   SW = 499, HW = 0
mean2:   SW = 509, HW = 0

FAIL

Any ideas?

Best regards

Nils

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
verify that you are able to write the vectors correctly.
Also attach the implementation of XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec2_Words etc. in addition to your ..._hw.h file.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Visitor nils-genser
Visitor

Jump to solution

In my HLS implementation, I returned the two first vector entries instead of the mean values.

=> They are garbage, so the transmission of vectors seems to fail.

I attached the created ip drivers.

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
I think you are using the XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec1_Words etc. incorrectly. Look at their definition and see if your calls match what they do.
Visitor nils-genser
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks, I found my problem.

When I started, I used a loop and transmitte value after value.

That why, I used the offset variable i. After setting the offset to zero,

the code seems to be working!

For completeness here is the working piece of code:

int main() {
    init_platform();

printf("Look Up the device configuration\n\r");
    meanHWConfig = XMeanaccelerator_LookupConfig(XPAR_XMEANACCELERATOR_0_DEVICE_ID);
    if (!meanHWConfig) {
		print("ERROR: Lookup of accelerator configuration failed.\n\r");
		return XST_FAILURE;
    }

printf("Initialize the Device\n\r");
    int status = XMeanaccelerator_CfgInitialize(&meanHW, meanHWConfig);
    if (status != XST_SUCCESS) {
		print("ERROR: Could not initialize accelerator.\n\r");
		return XST_FAILURE;
    }

printf("Create and fill test arrays\n\r");
	int vec1[vec_size];
	int vec2[vec_size];
	unsigned int i;
	for (i = 0; i < vec_size; i++) {
		vec1[i] = i;
		vec2[i] = i+10;
	}

// Calculate mean in software
	int sum1 = 0;
	int sum2 = 0;
	unsigned int j;
	for (j = 0; j < vec_size; j++) {
		sum1 += vec1[j];
		sum2 += vec2[j];
	}
	int mean1 = sum1 / vec_size;
	int mean2 = sum2 / vec_size;

printf("Send data to HW\n\r");
	printf("Vec1 wrote: %u\n", XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec1_Words(&meanHW, 0, vec1, vec_size));
	printf("Vec2 wrote: %u\n", XMeanaccelerator_Write_vec2_Words(&meanHW, 0, vec2, vec_size));

printf("Start HW accelerator\n\r");
	int mean1HW = -1, mean2HW = -1;
	do {
	mean1HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean1(&meanHW);
	mean2HW = XMeanaccelerator_Get_rv_mean2(&meanHW);

printf("Statistics\r\n");
	printf("sum1 = %d\n", sum1);
	printf("sum2 = %d\n", sum2);
	printf("mean1:   SW = %d, HW = %d\r\n", mean1, mean1HW);
	printf("mean2:   SW = %d, HW = %d\r\n", mean2, mean2HW);