UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jt94096
Visitor

Zynq US+ AXI HPM0 writes 128-bit vs 32-bit

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor jt94096
Visitor

Re: Zynq US+ AXI HPM0 writes 128-bit vs 32-bit

I have a simple Zynq US+ design that connects the PS M_AXI_HPM0_FPD port to block RAM through AXI interconnect and BRAM controller blocks (see pic). The HPM0 width is set to 32 bits and a data width of 32 bits is used for all other AXI ports in the path. The software engineer has coded a simple loop that writes to incremental addresses in the block RAM and reads/checks the result. What we see is that within each set of 4 32-bit addresses the first location is written but the next 3 are not. When viewing the bus with an ILA and doing 32-bit writes we see that the first write to 0xA000_0000 looks fine but the next write to 0xA000_0004 has WSTRB=0. It seems like the PS is treating the interface as 128-bit instead of 32-bit. We see the same thing regardless of whether the pointer to the RAM is set as u8* or u32* (in u8* mode the first four writes work, with WSTRB=1/2/4/8).

Is there any issue with accessing the PL this way (i.e. should we be calling a library function, doing some initial config, etc)? This smells like something that has a very simple explanation but I am just not seeing it.

Thanks - Jason

bd.jpgps_cfg.jpg

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Zynq US+ AXI HPM0 writes 128-bit vs 32-bit

Hi @jt94096 ,

I agree, this seems like something is a little goofy in the code.

Have you tried using the Xil_Out32()/Xil_In32() functions to write and read to the BRAM addresses?

Can you post your code and/or traces as well?

Early versions of the ZUS+ tools did not configure the bit widths of the PS-PL interfaces correctly (2016 time frame). I haven't seen a hardware configuration problem in a few years. Please refer to this AR for details:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66295.html

Regards,

Deanna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos