UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Zynq Ultrascale+ VCU and GPU without OS?

Jump to solution

Hello,

i will get a Zynq Ultrascale+ EV soon and i wanted to ask if i can use the Mali GPU and the VCU without an OS (Linux).

I have already searched for reference designs and i only found designs which were based on Linux.
Additionally i have created a Vivado design with the US+ EV as device and added the VCU. After generating bitstream and export to SDK i didn't have
any (C-)drivers for the GPU or VCU in my BSP.

So here are my questions:

1. Can i use the Video Coding Unit on a bare metal system without OS?

2. Can i use the Mali GPU on a bare metal system without OS?

3. If the answer for 2. is yes, can i use OpenGL without OS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+ VCU and GPU without OS?

Jump to solution

Hi mohring@hm.edu,

The VCU and the Mali GPU are only supported by Xilinx under Linux. Xilinx does not provide any baremetal driver, to have it running you would need to write your own driver which I do not recommend.

I think there are some RTOS which supports the Mali GPU. But it is still not without OS

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+ VCU and GPU without OS?

Jump to solution

Hi mohring@hm.edu,

The VCU and the Mali GPU are only supported by Xilinx under Linux. Xilinx does not provide any baremetal driver, to have it running you would need to write your own driver which I do not recommend.

I think there are some RTOS which supports the Mali GPU. But it is still not without OS

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos