UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant nirdhish
Participant

Zynq Ultrascale+ ZCU102 GEM and GTLanes

Hello,

I want to expose TSU counter to PL, therefore, I am stuck using GEM0 module. MIO pins typically used by GEM0 module are tied up elsewhere and cannot be used. Hence I am using GT lane 0. I created a petalinux image using the hdf file with the above-mentioned configuration. When booted, FSBL fails. It throws XFSBL_ERROR_GT_LANE_SELECTION error. I am a beginner and I am completely lost. Can someone point out the mistake I am making?

Regards,

Nirdheeshwar

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Re: Zynq Ultrascale+ ZCU102 GEM and GTLanes

I'm not sure how far you've progressed on this project, but your statements so far are confusing.

• TSU can be exported to the PL for any GEM--not just for GEM0.
  • None of the GEMs of the ZCU102 can drive GTR lanes.
  • GEM3, not GEM0, has dedicated MIO pins that connect to an on-board Ethernet PHY; those MIO pins can't be used readily for any other purpose.

-Joe G.

Participant nirdhish
Participant

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. 

1. TSU Counters cannot be exported to PL from GEM 1-3. Only GEM 0 can. According to this document.
  2. That is what I thought initially. But it looks like GEMs can drive GT Lanes. GEM0 can drive GT Lane 0.
  3.  All GEMs have dedicated MIO pins. Only GEM3's MIO pins are not used for other purposes in the default configuration. 

As of now, I have solved the FSBL issue. But I am facing problems in Uboot/Linux (not sure which one is the primary cause). I am getting following errors regarding ethernet.

1. macb ff0b0000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY.
  2. Configuring network interfaces... Cannot find device "eth0".
  3. mdio_register: non unique device name 'eth0'.

- Nirdheesh

0 Kudos
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

@nirdhish wrote:

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. 

1. TSU Counters cannot be exported to PL from GEM 1-3. Only GEM 0 can. According to this document.

My bad. You are correct. You actually said "counters" in your post, but I somehow missed that. The counter values can only be exported from GEM0.

1. That is what I thought initially. But it looks like GEMs can drive GT Lanes. GEM0 can drive GT Lane 0.

So you're driving GEM EMIO signals via a PL IP, through a GTH lane, to an SFP? Got it. I had GTR lanes on the brain.

1.  All GEMs have dedicated MIO pins. Only GEM3's MIO pins are not used for other purposes in the default configuration. 

Right... But using GEM3 is out of the question, since you need the TSU counter values.

As of now, I have solved the FSBL issue. But I am facing problems in Uboot/Linux (not sure which one is the primary cause). I am getting following errors regarding ethernet.

1. macb ff0b0000.ethernet eth0: Could not attach to PHY.

If it were me, I'd instrument-up (with ILA) the IP that's converting the EMIO-GMII from GEM0, to see if a fault is ocurring. Also, manually check the MDIO registers inside the IP. If there's no apparent fault, it just becomes a driver matter. Unfortunately, a problem like that is deep in Software Land, where I'm of little use.

Good luck.

1. Configuring network interfaces... Cannot find device "eth0".
  2. mdio_register: non unique device name 'eth0'.

- Nirdheesh

0 Kudos