cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Interface parameter bitwidth must be a multiple of 8 for AXI4 master port. Then how to use ap_uint<4> datatype?

I have a file with 4-bit binary data, and I want to read it using the following code:

typedef ap_uint<4> weight_t;

weight_t *w[NUMBER_WEIGHTS_ONLY];

for(int i=0;i<NUMBER_WEIGHTS_ONLY;i++){
w[i] = (weight_t *) sds_alloc(sizeof(weight_t)*16);
}
std::ifstream in3("Filename.dat",std::ios_base::binary); for (int i=0;i<NUMBER_WEIGHTS_ONLY;i++) { in3.read((char *)w[i],sizeof(weight_t)*weights_weights[i]); }

I get the following error on building the project:

Interface parameter bitwidth 'weight.V' (/home/akshay/PhD/workspace_SDx/Lenet_cifar_Kmean_indexed/src/conv_hw.cpp:17:1) must be a multiple of 8 for AXI4 master port.
ERROR: [HLS 200-70] Failed building synthesis data model.

Please help me with a solution for this.

If I use "typedef ap_uint<8> weight_t;" then everything is synthesized, but my output is incorrect as now 8-bits are read instead of 4.

Please help!!

--Akshay

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You need to change your host code to correctly parse your output data.

Regards,
brucey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi @brucey,

Thank you for your reply.

Does it mean I can not directly use the data with size less than 8-bits for AXI interfacing?

I have to maybe concatenate the data on host and then store as a single word of 8 bits in DDR?

And, then again on the FPGA I have to read the 8 bit data from DDR and then separate into two 4-bit values?

Thanks,

Akshay

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, @akshayjrkp ,

Does it mean I can not directly use the data with size less than 8-bits for AXI interfacing?

Yes, you cannot directly use the data with size less than 8-bits for AXI interface because of protocol requirement.

I have to maybe concatenate the data on host and then store as a single word of 8 bits in DDR?

Yes.

And, then again on the FPGA I have to read the 8 bit data from DDR and then separate into two 4-bit values?

Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos