UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor mompes
Visitor

Compile error using profile_kernel

I am trying to compile a kernel with the --profile_kernel data:all:all:all flag but it fails. If I remove this flag the program compiles and it runs fine. But I need to profile the kernel in order to understand how to improve its performance. I am using these two commands to compile:

xocc -c -t hw --platform zed -g src/aes.cl
xocc -t hw -l --profile_kernel data:all:all:all --sys_config ocl a.xo -f zed

As you can see I have one kernel and the platform used is the ZedBoard. The kernel is using OpenCL, I have read the optimization guide and I haven't found anything similar to the error I am getting:

#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Vivado v2018.1 (64-bit)
# SW Build 2188600 on Wed Apr  4 18:39:19 MDT 2018
# IP Build 2185939 on Wed Apr  4 20:55:05 MDT 2018
# Start of session at: Wed May 30 17:34:40 2018
# Process ID: 3276
# Current directory: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi
# Command line: vivado -mode batch -notrace -source ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl -messageDb ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.pb
# Log file: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.log
# Journal file: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/vivado.jou
#-----------------------------------------------------------
source ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl -notrace
Creating Vivado project and starting FPGA synthesis.
--- DEBUG: source ./.local_dsa/prj/rebuild.tcl to create syn project
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-234] Refreshing IP repositories
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1704] No user IP repositories specified
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-2313] Loaded Vivado IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.1/data/ip'.
INFO: Project created:syn
--- DEBUG: setting ip_repo_paths: ~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/impl/kernels/ip_repo/xilinx_com_hls_aes_1_0 /opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/cache/xilinx ./.local_dsa/ipcache /opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/ip/xilinx
--- DEBUG: update_ip_catalog
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-234] Refreshing IP repositories
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/impl/kernels/ip_repo/xilinx_com_hls_aes_1_0'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/cache/xilinx'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/.local_dsa/ipcache'.
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-1700] Loaded user IP repository '/opt/Xilinx/SDx/2018.1/data/ip/xilinx'.
--- DEBUG: open_bd_design -auto_upgrade [get_files zed.bd]
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:processing_system7:5.5 - ps7
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:xlconcat:2.1 - xlconcat_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:clk_wiz:6.0 - clk_wiz_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_0
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_1
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_2
Adding cell -- xilinx.com:ip:proc_sys_reset:5.0 - proc_sys_reset_3
Successfully read diagram <zed> from BD file <~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/syn/syn.srcs/sources_1/bd/zed/zed.bd>
--- DEBUG: source ./dr.bd.tcl
WARNING: [Coretcl 2-1042] No IP was identified for upgrade.
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'STRATEGY' from '0' to '2' has been ignored for IP 'axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0'
WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3374] An attempt to modify the value of disabled parameter 'STRATEGY' from '0' to '2' has been ignored for IP 'axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP'
WARNING: [BD 41-1306] The connection to interface pin /axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP/S00_AXI_arcache is being overridden by the user. This pin will not be connected as a part of interface connection S00_AXI
WARNING: [BD 41-1306] The connection to interface pin /axi_ic_ps7_S_AXI_ACP/S00_AXI_awcache is being overridden by the user. This pin will not be connected as a part of interface connection S00_AXI
--- DEBUG: save_bd_design
Wrote  : <~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/syn/syn.srcs/sources_1/bd/zed/zed.bd>
--- DEBUG: inserting profiling cores
--- DEBUG: Adding profiling of host and kernel masters...
--- DEBUG first CU slot : /aes_1
--- DEBUG Axilite CU bd net : /axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0_M00_AXI
--- DEBUG Axilite CU Interconnect : /axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0
--- WARNING: Unable to find host master to profile...
--- DEBUG: inserting SystemILA debug cores
--- DEBUG: insert_chipscope_debug: No chipscope_debugs dict name - nothing to insert
--- DEBUG: assign_bd_address
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_DDR_LOWOCM> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0x00000000 [ 512M ]>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_QSPI_LINEAR> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0xFC000000 [ 16M ]>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0xE0000000 [ 4M ]>
INFO: [BD 41-1051] The usage <register> of peripheral </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> does not match the usage <memory> of master </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> and will be excluded using sparse connectivity from its address space. Use the include_bd_addr_seg command to override this precaution and make this peripheral visible within this masters address space.
Excluding </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_IOP> from </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem>
</ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> is being mapped into </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> at <0x40000000 [ 1G ]>
INFO: [BD 41-1051] The usage <register> of peripheral </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> does not match the usage <memory> of master </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem> and will be excluded using sparse connectivity from its address space. Use the include_bd_addr_seg command to override this precaution and make this peripheral visible within this masters address space.
Excluding </ps7/S_AXI_ACP/ACP_M_AXI_GP0> from </aes_1/Data_m_axi_gmem>
--- DEBUG: validate_bd_design -force
ERROR: [BD 41-1811] The interconnect </axi_ic_ps7_M_AXI_GP0> is missing a valid master Interface connection
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'validate_bd_design' failed due to earlier errors.

while executing
"validate_bd_design -force"
    (procedure "ocl_util::init_ocl_project_unip" line 212)
    invoked from within
"ocl_util::init_ocl_project_unip $dsa_info $config_info $clk_info $debug_profile_info"
    (file "~/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/ocl/getting_started/aes_ocl/_xocc_link_a_bin.dir/_vpl/ipi/ipirun.tcl" line 168)
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Wed May 30 17:34:57 2018...

I am new to FPGA development, so it might be something obvious...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Compile error using profile_kernel

Hi mompes,

I think it would be recommended to not try and use an openCL kernel with sdsoc such as with a ZED. You should try sticking with the GUI flow on just taking a function from your design and choosing it to be pushed onto Hardware. The reason is that you will take a hit on the added overhead for the openCL memory setup.

xocc and the --profile_kernel really makes the most sense for the SDAccel flow moreso then the SDSOC flow. I suspect the issue you are running into is that the zed platform isn't setup like a SDAccel DSA for the profilinf run.

If at first you don't succeed, try redefining success?