UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

SDAccel OpenCL examples with non-blocking pipe functions

Hi,

I am using SDAccel v2018.2. When having read_pipe /write_pipe, in order to build FPGA binaries I need:

A) --xp param:compiler.version=31

B) a dummy pointer arg in kernels that do not need a pointer global memory,  as explained in: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/SDAccel/ERROR-KernelCheck-83-114-in-sdx-2017-4/td-p/818135

I noticed that when using instead the blocking counterparts (read_pipe_block & write_pipe_block) I do NOT need A) nor B)

However, I need the non-blocking versions in my design, is there any workaround to avoid those dummy pointers?

Also I couldn't  find any examples in the Github repor with NON-blocking pipe functions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leo

Best,
L30nardo SV
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: SDAccel OpenCL examples with non-blocking pipe functions

Hi, @leonardo.solis ,

Pipes can only be accessed using standard OpenCL read_pipe() and write_pipe() built-in functions in non-blocking mode, or using Xilinx® extended read_pipe_block() and write_pipe_block() functions in blocking mode. 

Currently we don't have the existing example for non-blocking mode read_pipe()/write_pipe() in standard OpenCL.

Could you show us why you cannot use the blocking mode pipe operation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @hongh

I am attaching a small example code that uses pipes in non-blocking mode: a chain of three kernels connected with two pipes. It is based on Xilinx SDx 2018.2 example:

https://github.com/Xilinx/SDAccel_Examples/tree/2018.2/getting_started/dataflow/dataflow_pipes_ocl

As a result: when using non-blocking pipe READS, the design hangs indefinitely on AWS EC2 F1 (only software emulation runs and finishes as expected). On the contrary, enabling ONLY non-blocking WRITE functions, made it worked in all cases.

In the README.md file you can find the info on how to build and run.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Leonardo

Best,
L30nardo SV
0 Kudos

Hi, @leonardo.solis ,

I just confirmed with the factory: currently the Non-blocking pipe is not supported in SDAccel. The feature is still on the roadmap.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos