UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer wolff000
Observer

Custom IP in custom SDSoC platform

Jump to solution

Hello.  I am trying to create my own SDSoC platform that includes a custom IP module.  The custom IP is included in my platform block design along with standard Xilinx IPs such as the Processing System IP module, Processor System Reset IP modules, etc.  I am struggling with the following requirement from UG1146 page 9:

“2. Every platform IP that is not part of the standard Vivado IP catalog must be local to the platform Vivado Design Suite project. References to external IP repository paths are not allowed.”

How do I bring the definition of a custom IP (i.e. the component.xml file, etc.) into the platform Vivado project so that a reference to an external IP repository is not required?  No matter what I try, I end up with an “IP definition not found; add IP definition to catalog” error message (for the custom IP) during the SDSoC block design creation step.  Thanks for any advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Custom IP in custom SDSoC platform

Jump to solution
To create a version of your platform hardware project that makes your custom IP local to the project, open the project in Vivado, File->Archive Project (and save), which will save a zip archive of the project (by default, in the parent directory). Close Vivado, unzip the archive, and use this clone of your original project. You should see your IP in the <your_platform>/<your_platform>.ipdefs directory. For your platform, you can safely delete <your_platform>.{cache,hw,runs,sdk}, archive_project_summary.txt, and vivado*
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
To create a version of your platform hardware project that makes your custom IP local to the project, open the project in Vivado, File->Archive Project (and save), which will save a zip archive of the project (by default, in the parent directory). Close Vivado, unzip the archive, and use this clone of your original project. You should see your IP in the <your_platform>/<your_platform>.ipdefs directory. For your platform, you can safely delete <your_platform>.{cache,hw,runs,sdk}, archive_project_summary.txt, and vivado*
Observer wolff000
Observer

Jump to solution

Balkris, thank you very much for your response!  However, none of your links address my specific situation:

- I was unable to view the “design-reuse.com” video (it is marked as private)

- the custom platform shown in the Xilinx video only includes standard Xilinx IP

- the other links relate to general IP management and do not apply to this situation, which is unique to SDSoC

Jhwang, thank you very much as well.  Your method of generating the .ipdefs directory using the archive command works great.  In fact, I realized that I can also manually copy the IP definition folder to within the Vivado platform project folder structure and add this subfolder as an IP Repository in the project settings.  SDSoC accepts this configuration, i.e. it loads the IP subfolder automatically when it generates the SDSoC Vivado project from the platform Vivado project.

Finally, before getting Jhwang’s message, I had been able to work around the issue by adding my custom IP to the global catalog.  This involved the following steps:

1) Copy the IP definition folder to this path: C:\Xilinx\SDSoC\2016.2\Vivado\2016.2\data\ip\xilinx

2) Add an entry for the custom IP into this file: C:\Xilinx\SDSoC\2016.2\Vivado\2016.2\data\ip\vv_index.xml

3) Add an entry for the custom IP into this file: C:\Xilinx\SDSoC\2016.2\Vivado\2016.2\data\rsb\supported_ips.xml

Jhwang’s method is obviously a better solution.  Thanks again to both of you for your help!

0 Kudos