UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

DMA transfer failure

Visitor

DMA transfer failure

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to perform some image processing on a custom platform with a Zynq 7015 core.

I want to calculate a depth estimation of two pre-stored images. The processing function takes their addresses (+output address) as inputs and stores the result, which is accessed via VDMA.

So far, only using the ARM prozessor produces the desired result. However, trying to HW-accelerate the image-processing function results in an error when starting the function is called:

ERROR: Simple DMA transfer failure accessing address 0x3d400000 : {Decode }

The address is where the second image is stored. It always returns the address of the second image, independent of the location.

What could be possible reasons for this failure?

I am using SDx 2017.1.

Thanks in advance,

Seek

Highlighted
Observer

Re: DMA transfer failure

Hi seek,

Can you please post a code snippet with the accelerated function definition, callsite, memory allocation, and memory freeing?

Thanks!
Sam

Visitor

Good Morning Sam,

yes, I can. The images are included in the .bif file as 32-bit rgba-data.

There werde 4 subfunctions originally, but I reduced them to one simple function, in order to locate the problem.

The declaration goes as follows:

#pragma SDS data mem_attribute(left_img:PHYSICAL_CONTIGUOUS|NON_CACHEABLE, right_img:PHYSICAL_CONTIGUOUS|NON_CACHEABLE, output_img:PHYSICAL_CONTIGUOUS|NON_CACHEABLE)
#pragma SDS data access_pattern(left_img:SEQUENTIAL, right_img:SEQUENTIAL, output_img:SEQUENTIAL)
#pragma SDS data data_mover(left_img:AXIDMA_SIMPLE, right_img:AXIDMA_SIMPLE, output_img:AXIDMA_SIMPLE)
#pragma SDS data copy(left_img[0:IMG_SIZE], right_img[0:IMG_SIZE], output_img[0:IMG_SIZE])
void image_processing(unsigned int *left_img, unsigned int *right_img, unsigned int *output_img); . .  

Function itself:

void image_processing(unsigned int *left_img, unsigned int *right_img, unsigned int *output_img){

// Some Definitions

// I use a pixel buffer, since information is being streamed
        // The buffer only stores some previous pixels of the right image
	PX_N_BUFFER rightPxBuffer;

for ("every Pixel") {
		for("Pixel in Buffer") {

#pragma HLS LOOP_FLATTEN
PRAGMA_wDEFINE(HLS PIPELINE II = 1)

if("First Iteration/New Pixel") {
PRAGMA_wDEFINE(HLS OCCURRENCE cycle = LESS)	

left_pix = left_img[ID];
				right_pix = right_img[ID];
                         }

Do some Calculations...

if("Last Iteration"){

PRAGMA_wDEFINE(HLS OCCURRENCE cycle = LESS)	
					output_img[ID] = result;
					rightPxBuffer.shift_right();
					rightPxBuffer.insert(right_pix, 0, N-1);
			}
		} 
	}
}

Buffer:

typedef ap_window<unsigned char, 1, N> PX_N_BUFFER;

Callsite:

image_processing((unsigned int*)(ADDRESS_IN_LEFT), (unsigned int*)(ADDRESS_IN_RIGHT), (unsigned int*)ReadCfg.FrameStoreStartAddr[0]);

By memory allocation, do you mean the location for the output image? If so, I only specified some address during the initialization of the VDMA.

ReadCfg.FrameStoreStartAddr[0] = ADDRESS_OUT;

Thanks a lot,

Seek

Observer

Hi Seek,

I think the problem is related to your buffer allocation. Im not a video/linux expert, so my knowledge of memory allocation is limited to: 

Everything normally works file when you use sds_alloc/sds_free to manage your buffers between accelerators

As far as using VDMAs and then handing off one of the buffers filled by a VDMA to an accelerator, I think you have to use dmabuf (and maybe register the buffer with SDSoC somehow). You can look at the MPSoC TRD example for how to use SDSoC with a VDMA in the platform and sharing a frame buffer between the VDMA and the SDSoC inserted accelerator DMA. Heres a link to the doc:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/2017_2/ug1221-zcu102-base-trd.pdf

Sam

Xilinx Employee

The reporting of a decode error indicates that the address being accessed doesn't have a valid address segment mapping in the design.  You can think of it as analogous to a bus error as observed from a CPU.

For example, if you've got 1 gig of DRAM that has been assigned addressing starting from 0x0, and no other assigned segments, you can assume you'd get a decode error if you attempt to instruct the DMA to access address 0x4000_0001 (1 gig + 1).

There are a few possibilities here.  One is that the address is truly invalid, in which case the fault likely resides somewhere deep inside the linux video drivers for passing you a garbage address.  This is unlikely, since the problem would very likely have blown up long before you got access to it.  More likely is that, for whatever reason, a mapping was improperly established during generation of the underlying vivado project.  To check this, you can open the vivado project located at <build_area>_sds\p0\_vpl\ipi\ipiprj\ipiprj.xpr, and check in the address editor.  Check what mapping it provided for the DMA throwing errors, and assert that the address you're passing is validl.  Normally, when we lay out IP, we just auto-assign addresses, and under all circumstances that we test this is sufficient.  There are times when we find it isn't sufficient, but we make a point of resolving those issues by fixing auto-assignment before it goes out the door.

Software quite naturally contains bugs though, in spite of all efforts.  It's best to double check to make sure we aren't talking about one.

Visitor

Hey Sam,

thanks a lot for the link. I will have a look into that.

Regards,

seek

Visitor

Hello gill,

thanks a lot for the reply.

The address range of the VDMA is set to 1G, which should include the failing address. I've attached a screenshot of the settings.

However, he address range was initially set to 32M in the original project. I set it to 1G, as the sequences would have been to big otherwise.

I am still wondering why it works for the CPU-only build though, but not for the accelerated function. My only guess might be that the simultaneous access might cause the issue.

Oh and the project was located in _sds\p0\ipi\prj.xpr, the "_vpl" folder did not exist.

Regards,

Seek

VDMA_Address_Editor.JPG