UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant chepner
Participant

SDSoC multi-thread support

Hello,

We've a design that generate a shared libary using SDSoC 2018.2.

I can link the library and call the accelerated HW function from Software under Linux without any problem.

Now, I want to run one of the accelerated function in a thread to fill a buffer with stream coming from camera.

I allocate buffers with sdsoc and pass the pointer to my function to be run in a thread.

But, I got an error :

ERROR: DMASIMPLE could not find physical address for buffer - make sure the buffer is allocated with sds_alloc
ERROR: DMASIMPLE could not find physical address for buffer - make sure the buffer is allocated with sds_alloc

I've displayed the pointer (void *) returned from sds_alloc and it's the same address from outside the thread and from the inside.

I don't see what is the issue.

I cannot run an accelerated hardware function from thread or I have to compile my shared library with a specifc option to support multi-threaded system ?

Thanks for your help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDSoC multi-thread support

Hi @chepner 

Please share the function declaration and buffer allocation snapshot.

Also, you can refer below example,

https://github.com/Xilinx/SDSoC_Examples/tree/master/cpp/getting_started/multi_threading

Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
0 Kudos
Participant chepner
Participant

Hi @nutang ,

I'm using this to allocate memory with sds_alloc:

buffer = (ap_uint<8> *) sds_alloc(BUF_SIZE * sizeof(ap_uint<8>));

I was using this method and it's working expect under a thread.

I want to mention that I want to use these function under Linux OS with c++ code and don't in SDSoc.

I don't have any access to these pragmas because I'm using the c++ compiler.

Thanks

Marwen

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @chepner

In the current SDSoC™ release, libraries are not thread-safe, so they must be called into from a
single thread within an application, which could consist of many threads and processes.

Kindly refer https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1278-sdsoc-programmers-guide.pdf 

I guess your scenario is similar to below post, please have a look

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/SDSoC-Environment-and-reVISION/multi-thread-support-on-sdsoc/td-p/739716

Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
0 Kudos
Participant chepner
Participant

Hi @nutang ,

My hardware function already contain a async pragma to handle parallel stream coming from different sources.

I want to run this behavior in a Software thread in C++ as std::thread implementation.

I cannot see how sds compiler interpret them !

I managed to add sds_wait(Id) call from software but sds_lib say : "ID not recognized ..."

Thanks

Marwen

0 Kudos