UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer arkay99
Observer

SDSoc 2018.2 Has Not Responding events when switching focus. SDSoC 2018.1 was fine.

I had SDoC 2018.1 installed along with Vivado and Vivado HLS and subsequently installed 2016.4 Vivado, SDK, and Vivado HLS to work on an older project and worked well. I recently wanted to start working with and learning some of the example projects and the xfopencv libs, but was unable to download them. I saw that SDoC 2018.2 was released, so I downloaded and installed that and upon starting SDoC I started having the problem. It appears that when changing focus between the different container objects in the gui that the ui becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds with the spinning blue circle. Then it will get focus and I can nav around in the container, but after I close it and try to select a menu item or a tab in another container, the ui can't get focus for another 20 seconds. This is really frustrating as it makes even setting up the environment futile. I then fully uninstalled SDoC 2018.2 and re-installed it with a fresh download but got the same issue. Keep in mind that 2018.1 worked just fine. I then did a full uninstall of 2018.1 and 2018.2, then another fresh download and install of 2018.2 with no 2018.1 on the computer. I still observe the same behavior. I should mention that Vivado 2018.2 and the SDK being launched from the Vivado menu seems to work just fine.

After a few days of looking around for an answer to this, I've come up short so I'm asking for advice and or help here. I applied for a ticket at the Xilinx Service Portal. I'm also wondering if it's a problem with the SDoC ui interacting poorly with eclipse. If that's the case, what would be different between the two versions of SDoC? The 2 installs were identical except for the version numbers. I have inspected the eclipse logs and there are a lot of exceptions occurring along with a lot of WAITING Messages so I'm sure this may be the cause, however there is not much of a pattern. it seems like whatever thread is running has a chance to get caught whenever I switch to a different container in the gui. I have inspected my environment variables, license location, and viability and SDoC does report the license is available in the console when I start it. I have also tried adding and upping the heap allocation parameters in the eclipse.ini file to no avail. This is on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine with 16 gig of memory and the internet connection is 100 mbps up and down.

One last item is that when invoking the SDK from Vivado's menu the SDK comes up and works well with no delays. I checked and SDoC and SDK each have their own eclipse.ini file and are almost identical, except the vmargs are slightly different.

Edit: The service portal will not allow me communication with a human and left me with the choices of this community, the FAQ's, or the Knowledge Base...

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Observer arkay99
Observer

Re: SDSoc 2018.2 Has Not Responding events when switching focus. SDSoC 2018.1 was fine.

I will add that I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1. It's definitely an issue with Eclipse or the java interface because if I inspect the .log files the version for 2018.1 is clean and the one for 2018.2 is loaded with Exceptions. It would be helpful if someone with my OS and 2018.2 would look at the .log file and either confirm or not the Exceptions being listed.

I can't use 2081.1 with the xfopencv lib because it's versioned for 2018.2.

0 Kudos

Re: SDSoc 2018.2 Has Not Responding events when switching focus. SDSoC 2018.1 was fine.

Hi Arkay99,

I am experiencing the same behavior also with the 2018.2 SDx IDE, only mine is running on Windows 10 64-bit.

Sorry I cannot offer any solution.  Running 2018.2 under Ubuntu does not seem to exhibit the problem.  However there are other issues with the LInux version of the tool.  When I attempt to use the built-in mmult example for the ZCU102 platform it won't compile under Linux even thought it is the same source.  I'm setup with a Ubuntu VM that can use the same workspace as the Windows version.

I would like to think as bad as this is that they will offer some remedy soon.  If I find a solution I will update here too.

Best regards

Observer arkay99
Observer

Thanks so much for the info. At least now I know I'm not alone in the wilderness. I am about to install a brand new disk, Win 10 pro and a VM to run Ubuntu. I chose that route because I've been denied a service request at the portal and hadn't gotten any replies until now regarding this issue. Also, it's reassuring to know that it's happening on Win 10.

In my experience as a Windows programmer using Eclipse (and therefore Java) in the past when problems like this have arisen it usually points to either a corrupted java install or the wrong version, hence the throwing of all the exceptions. Since SDx 2018.2 is pretty new there may be more users on Windows platforms experiencing the same issue, it therefore would stand a better chance of getting resolved if more have the complaint.

0 Kudos
Visitor psljlu
Visitor

I have a same situation, and i work on window 10 64bit. I aslo test on another computer with clean system, but is the same

Observer arkay99
Observer

Thank you psljlu. So now there is 3 Windows 10 systems and one Windows 7 system experiencing this issue. I don't really want to be the one saying this, as I've only just started here, but it looks like Xilinx has pushed out a broken SDSoC version...at least with Windows platforms. I've just installed a new Windows 10 system and am about to install SDoC on it as the only software on the system...a 'clean' install. I'm also going to put Ubuntu on a VM on that machine for the express purpose of developing with Petalinux. I will report back with info on those.

I'm hoping someone with access to the service portal and this issue can make an SR and get this straightened out.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

arkay99,

Could you upload the .log containing the exceptions so we can review it?
   Are there specific window focus changes (believe that's what you mean by containers, correct?) that are causing the slow down?  e.g. Editor view to the Project Navigator, or Settings view in the workspace to Editor, vs Console, Terminal etc... 

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

Hello, Tanders, and thank you for looking into this. it's quite frustrating. I have been staying away from SDx for a bit, but in response to your request, I opened the program and attempted to start a project. I worked with the interface for about 5 mins. and got a .log file about 325kb which I've uploaded. You are correct in your understanding that it occurs when going between the different windows, as you said. The menu seems particularly vulnerable, especially choosing an item right after closing a dialog. Keep in mind that once the focus is gained within that window or view (project manager, or Setting Dialog) everything works fine, then when exiting the dialog or selecting some text in the Editor you will most likely see the event. It almost always happens when exiting a dialog and selecting a menu. I'll be happy to share any other info you may require.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Just wanted to let you know we are looking into this, but we are having issues reproducing this in house, so it's a bit slower than we and I'm sure you would like.  Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

Thanks for the update tanders. I have some additional info since I was last here. I recently installed Windows 10 Professional 64 bit on my machine and set it up for a dual boot with separate drives for each. Then I installed SDSoC 2018.2 all by itself, no other versions of it. I do have Vivado 2018.2, HLS 2018.2, and SDK 2018.2, but no other earlier versions. SDSoC runs fine in that environment. I also have VMWare installed and running Ubuntu . I'm hesitant to install 2018.1 and/or 2016.4 on the Win 10 system, in case there is interaction.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

arkay99, thanks for this info.  It's good to know that it runs well when it's alone.  This helps w/ the debugging.  We are trying to sort this out based on feedback from a couple of different users now.

Any chance the machine that shows the issues has cygwin on it, alone or as part of another tool install, and earlier in the the path than Xilinx tools?  

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

I will check in a little bit. It's very possible, as I have a few other Eclipse environments on that machine.

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

Hi tanders, A search on the name shows many cygwin files of many types. I don't show it in my Environment Variables, but I'm sure my registry has several versions. In addition, all the versions I have pre-date Xilinx. I have Lattice Diamond, LatticeMico, Quartus, Atmel Studio, and Visual Studio. I have a few other smaller programs using cygwin. They all pre-date my Xilinx installations.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks much for that info.
If you get  chance to experiment, please try running SDx in an environment that doesn't have all those other paths etc... e.g. clean cmd w/ minimal path setup for sdx by sourcing settings64.bat. I believe this will work just fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer arkay99
Observer

Hi tanders. I tried what you suggested. I set up a shortcut on my desktop to run as Administrator cmd with the arguments %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\settings64.bat" & "C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\bin\sdx.vbs""

As I understand it, it should call cmd to run settings64.bat and when that ends it should call sdx.vbs. When I run that it does what it's supposed to do and SDx comes up, but the problem remains. Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly, or in my case there is something else at play?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi arkay99,

You would need to trim the path down in the cmd first to something very basic like:
set PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

If you type  "path" in the cmd you should see everything that it's currently using, a subset should be what is shown above.  Once you set path=.... then you should see, just the basic windows values.  After this run "C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\settings64.bat" and then run SDx
   Thanks much for taking the time to experiment with this.

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

Hi tanders, I tried the suggestion you made. The output from my cmd window is below:

C:\>path=
PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program File
s (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Window
s;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Progra
m Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\Sn
apAPI\;c:\altera\14.0\modelsim_ae\win32aloem;C:\altera\14.0\modelsim_ase\win32al
oem

C:\>set PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYST
EMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\>path
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32
\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\>C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\settings64.bat

C:\>

After I ran settings64.bat I ran SDxIDE2018.2 by clicking the desktop icon. I also ran settings64.bat then called sdx.vbs from cmd. I both cases the Not Responding events persist. Then I thought maybe my workspace could be corrupt, so I deleted that and strted with a new fresh workspace, after running setting64.bat and sdx.vbs. No joy...One thing I did notice that is different is that the SDx Log window is not outputting the log text... i.e. it stays blank through the startup and license acquiring. I do get the license, I believe, because a message box opens and closes quickly and afterwards the whole interface becomes available.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Once you run the settings64.bat, after clearing/setting the path.  simply type "sdx" in the cmd prompt and SDx should come up w/ that environment/path settings.  Desktop icon will use your standard settings, unless you change the system settings.

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

Hi tanders. I understand the process now. However, the problem persists. Below is the output from my cmd window:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\ArKay99>cd\

C:\>set path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;Syste
mRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\>path
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;SystemRoot%\System3
2\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

C:\>C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\settings64.bat

C:\>sdx

****** Xilinx SDx Development Environment
SDx v2018.2 (64-bit)
****** SW Build 2258646 on Thu Jun 14 20:04:27 MDT 2018
** Copyright 1986-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Loading SDK with SDx plugins ...

****** Xilinx Software Development Kit
****** SDK v2018.2 (64-bit)
**** SW Build 2258646 on Thu Jun 14 20:03:12 MDT 2018
** Copyright 1986-2018 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Launching SDK with command C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\eclipse\win64.o\eclipse.exe -vma
rgs -Xms64m -Xmx4G &

C:\>

I also wrote a batch file to set the path, call settings64.bat then sdx, but the problem remains there also. If I do a path while SDx is running I see all the Xilinx references prepended to the short path above. Here is that path:

PATH=C:\Xilinx\DocNav;C:\Xilinx\SDx\2018.2\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\bin;C:\Xilin
x\SDK\2018.2\gnu\microblaze\nt\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\gnu\arm\nt\bin;C:\Xilinx
\SDK\2018.2\gnu\microblaze\linux_toolchain\nt64_le\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\gnu\
aarch32\nt\gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\gnu\aarch32\nt\gcc-arm
-none-eabi\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\gnu\aarch64\nt\aarch64-linux\bin;C:\Xilinx\S
DK\2018.2\gnu\aarch64\nt\aarch64-none\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\gnu\armr5\nt\gcc-
arm-none-eabi\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2018.2\tps\win64\cmake-3.3.2\bin;C:\Xilinx\SDK\2
018.2\gnuwin\bin;C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin;C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\lib\win64.o
;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;SystemRoot%\System32\Wi
ndowsPowerShell\v1.0\

I'm not sure where to go from here. There must be something else at play on this machine?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

arkay99,

Thanks much for this data/feedback.  Looks like it's not a pathing/interference issue from anohter tool. I'm a bit surprised.

Do you have different drives mounted on your problem machine vs the clean/new one that is working correctly?

0 Kudos
Observer arkay99
Observer

It's the same machine. I have an SSD with Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 on it where I keep my software and programs and a data drive where I keep my projects and info. Then I have a second SSD with Win 10 Pro (latest version 1806?) with SDx 2018.2 (and it's suite of tools), and a data drive dedicated to that system. I have the machine set up to dual boot. The drives are visible to each OS, just different drive letters for each system when they are running.

0 Kudos
Visitor fpga_student
Visitor

Hello, It seems that there isn't any new update on this issue, I have the same problem on SDSoC 2018.2 fresh installation, I just Installed it after uninstalling SDSoc 2017.1. My machine has 1T HDD, 16G RAM and Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1.

Please let me know if any practical solution is available ...

thanks

0 Kudos
Visitor fpga_student
Visitor

Hello,

Good news is no lagging in clean installation on win 10 (1803), it is the only software on my laptop excluding multimedia and office till now and it work well. but bad news is my problem on my PC still exist. I don't know if it's important or not but there was something strange about welcome page in my previous installation (on PC). it has been messed up!! I don't know why but unusual.

0 Kudos
Visitor fpga_student
Visitor

Hello ,

I finally found the solution...

The PC I have installed the SDSoC on is connected to local network. Yesterday, I accidentally disconnected the network cable and guess what? completely responsive UI, no lag, no spinning blue circle, and no not responding problem when changing focus between the different container objects, and SDSoC worked just fine.

I don't if it works for you or not but I think it could be useful information for those people who are working on this issue at Xilinx.

0 Kudos