Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Unable to send data greater than 8MB

Hi,

I am using SDSoC 2016.1 with the Zedboard.

I am facing the following problem. I exchange data between the ARM processor and an

accelerator. I allocated successfully memory using malloc() instead of sds_alloc(), since my data 

is greater than 4 MB

However, when I run the program, the system crashes with the following error message:

ERROR: Unable to send buffer greater than 8MB over sg_dma that is not allocated through sds_alloc()

Either allocate this buffer using sds_alloc(), or copy this buffer into an sds_allocated buffer before transfer.

My main contains the following call of the function:

A = (int *)malloc( (width-8)*(height-8)*9* sizeof(int)); //3146976 * sizeof(int)
if(A != NULL){
       printf("A is allocated.\n");
}else{
       return 0;
}

B = (int *)malloc( (width-8)*(height-8)*9* sizeof(int)); //3146976 * sizeof(int)
f(B != NULL){
       printf("B is allocated.\n");
}else{
       return 0;
}

func(A,B); //function that is accelerated

My header file contains the following code:

#pragma SDS data access_pattern(A:SEQUENTIAL, B:SEQUENTIAL)

#pragma SDS data data_mover(A:AXIDMA_SG, B:AXIDMA_SG)

void func(
         int A[width*height],
	  int B[width*height]);

So if you have any ideas or helps to solve this problem, I appreciate this. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Actually, my code for the header is wrong. It should be:

#pragma SDS data access_pattern(A:SEQUENTIAL, B:SEQUENTIAL)

#pragma SDS data data_mover(A:AXIDMA_SG, B:AXIDMA_SG)

void func(
         int *A,
	  int *B);
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

>> I allocated successfully memory using malloc() instead of sds_alloc(), since my data is greater than 4 MB

>> However, when I run the program, the system crashes with the following error message:

>> ERROR: Unable to send buffer greater than 8MB over sg_dma that is not allocated through sds_alloc()

Either allocate this buffer using sds_alloc(), or copy this buffer into an sds_allocated buffer before transfer.

So there is an api which has a limitation, you ignore the limitation and the api fails with an error code. I am not sure what else you were expecting.

To solve your problem, I suggest that you divide your data in chunks of 4MB and transfer sequentially. The extra overhead will be negligible.

I am not familiar with your design but I can't help wonder where in FPGA you are sending this 8 MB of data. 

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

According to the UG1027, it is possible to transfer data larger than 8 MB with the scatter-gather DMA. Unfortunately, there is a bug with sds_alloc(). It has a limitation in allocating memory as it is described in this post

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/SDSoC-Development-Environment/sds-alloc-error-with-big-arrays/td-p/706581

However, there should be a workaround with malloc(), when I understood this correctly. I tried it with malloc() and I got this error message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi rettkjjk,

There also apears to be a problem with the malloc/sg_dma path also (as you have clearly pointed out) with a limit as described by the error message you get of 8MB. Which means that 2016.1 has the following limits (when using Linux as the OS):

4MB - using sds_alloc() or sds_alloc_non_cacheable()  and simple_dma or sg_dma

8MB - using malloc() and sg_dma

And version 2015.4 has the following limits:

~256MB - using sds_alloc() or sds_alloc_non_cacheable()  and simple_dma (up to 8MB) or sg_dma

8MB - using malloc() and sg_dma

You can expect the sds_alloc()/sds_alloc_non_cacheable() limits to be much better in 2016.2, this is something that obviously needs fixed.

So if you need to move forward immediately, you can move back to 2015.4 with sds_alloc. And when 2016.2 is release jump forward to that and continue using sds_alloc.

Sam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying the latest version 2016.2 and I think the limitation of 4 MB sds_alloc is still there.

I wonder if someone could confirm ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Eejlny,

I have personally tested this and I can confirm that arrays > 8MB will work in SDSoC 2016.2. 

If you are seeing an error you don't understand feel free to start a new thread.

Best,

--Dutch

0 Kudos