UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor whchan
Visitor

Using xfOpenCV in C++ on PYNQ/Ubuntu

Hello everyone!

My goal is to build xfOpenCV as a C++ library, such that I can call xfOpenCV functions within my C++ program on my PYNQ-Z1, that runs Ubuntu 18.04, as the official PYNQ v2.4 SD card image provides.

The concept should be similar to building an overlay that can be used within Python, except my goal is for C++.

So far from the user manuals (xfOpenCV, SDSoC) I have read about, seems like my closest viable solution is to compile & build my entire C++ program in SDSoC environment, if I am not mistaken.

I do realize that the PYNQ framework is supposed for running Python + overlay to support hardware acceleration.

Therefore, I really wonder if my goal is doable at all?

Thank you so much for any advice in advance!

Xavier

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Using xfOpenCV in C++ on PYNQ/Ubuntu

You may want to check this PYNQ community project:

https://github.com/Xilinx/PYNQ-ComputerVision

Cathal

0 Kudos
Visitor whchan
Visitor

Re: Using xfOpenCV in C++ on PYNQ/Ubuntu

Hi Cathal, 

I was looking at this project too, but it seems like it only provides xfOpenCV usage at Python level as overlays. 

For my project I would need to use C++, so I am looking for a way to use xfOpenCV in C++ on PYNQ-Z1 board. SDSoC seems to be the right path to go, only if I could build to target PYNQ-Z1 board... and I have already tried building the .dsa file for the PYNQ-Z1 board by running the tcl scripts under this repo:

https://github.com/Xilinx/PYNQ/tree/master/boards/Pynq-Z1/base

For my next step, I am trying to create the SDSoC platform for PYNQ-Z1 in 2018.3 

I personally found SDSoC workflow to be quite elegant to use, just write the code in C++, perform hardware acceleration for selected functions, then just build everything and copy everything to SD card, except when it comes to non-default supported platforms, then it becomes quite frastruating to make things compatible, especially for newbie like me... 

Thanks, 

Xavier

0 Kudos