cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Series GTX

I am using a Kintex-7 device (XQ7K410T) in a design and am using GTX transceivers to support several Serial RapidIO links.  I have discovered that there is a potential for shorts on the transmitter outputs due to tin whisker formation.  These shorts may form between high and low outputs of a transmitter or between either high or low side to ground.  I am wondering if the transmitters are short-circuit protected.  I have not been able to find information on this in any of the documents I have reviewed.  I would like to know specifically:

1) Will a short on the output of a transmitter (high side to low side OR either high or low side to ground) cause permanent damage to the transmitter?

2) Will a short on a transmitter in one MGT bank affect the operation of a transmitter in any other MGT bank?

Thank you,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: 7 Series GTX

Hi @tengelder ,

Please check with DS182, page 2, table 1, DC output current for transmitter. With the shorts you would have a DC setup.

Then check with UG476, page 156. You see that the output is terminated with 50Ohm to MGTAVTT. A connection to ground will give you 24mA here typically. This is well over the limits in the datasheet. This might be different if you do not power the transceiver bank, but I guess this is not your situation.

It is a bit difficult to forecast where the damage will be. But you do not have an ESD event here, so it might affect only that pin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------