UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AR-68639 further information

AR-68639 advises:

"It has been determined that the DisplayPort RX/TX Subsystems and Video PHY product cannot meet Xilinx production level criteria for 7 Series GTHE2 and GTP devices."

Essentially 7 Series devices with GTHE2 and GTPE2 are unsupported -> for further info consult the Product Guides, which state:

For HDCP: UltraScale/UltraScale+ supports up to 5.4 Gb/s,
Kintex-7/Virtex-7 (-1 speed grade
supports up to 2.7 Gb/s, -2/
-3 supports up to 5.4 Gb/s), and Artix-7 is not supported

Is there further info on exactly why HDCP is not supported on Artix-7.? Is that the only limitation (i.e. using DP without HDCP on Artix-7 is fine ?),

Regards,

GH

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: AR-68639 further information

ping

0 Kudos

HI @meepmeep_beepbeep,

The video clock maximum frequency is 297 MHz across all transceiver types except GTPE2 which is maxed at 148.5 MHz. This means GTPE2 cannot support video formats with video clocks > 148.5 MHz. For example, it cannot support 4Kp 60Hz at 2 PPC because it requires 297 MHz video clock. 4Kp 60Hz can be supported at 4 PPC because the video clock it requires is only 184.5 MHz.

one more reason is  this primitive are no more supported from Vivado 2017.1 version I believe and assume .

Please find the below image  

Chandra

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
form answer.png

Hi @csattar,

Thanks for the info.

I am a bit confused / would like further clarification on a few things.

You have mentioned that the GTPE2 cannot support video clocks > 148.5 MHz. However the Displayport standard has no set 'video clock' - data is serialized on the wire at one of four set rates (LBR - 1.62 Gbps, HBR - 2.7 Gbps, HBR2 - 5.4Gbps, HBR3 - 8.1 Gbps), the rate is selected such that there is enough bandwidth to support the current video mode - any leftover bandwidth is taken up by header information or stuffing symbols.

Are you possibly thinking of the GTPE2 reference clock ? This clock is typically 1/40 the line rate - i.e. HBR2 is 5.4 Gbps which gives a 135 MHz reference clock.. so is the limit on the reference clock 148.5 MHz ?

0 Kudos

hi @meepmeep_beepbeep,

yes your correct .

Chandra 

Regards
Chandra sekhar
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

@csattarthanks for the info, however this still doesn't quite add up.

If the rate is limited to HBR2 (135 MHz reference clock), then I don't see why, on that fact alone, support for Artix-7 has been deprecated. The core specifies Displayport v1.2 - which has a maximum bandwidth of HBR2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Specifications), so it can support the maximum bandwidth of Displayport v1.2..

There must be something else that is unsupported.. would you mind having a closer look into my original snippet, r.e. HDCP being unsupported..?

Essentially, my application of the core does not require HDCP - and the maximum bandwidth I need to support is HBR2, so if those are the only limitations I should be able to use the core..

Cheers,

meepmeep_beepbeep

0 Kudos

@csattarping

0 Kudos

@csattar  could you please reply to the above ? cheers, mmbb

0 Kudos

@csattar@austin@bpatil@ddn

Could someone respond to the above? cheers, mmbb

0 Kudos

hi @meepmeep_beepbeep,

I need to work with higher experts on this issue , once I have updated from them I will update you asap.

Chandra 

Regards
Chandra sekhar

Highlighted

@csattar

Thank you, waiting on your reply.

0 Kudos

@csattar

When you contact the experts, could you also reference my other question: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/GTP-Manual-Phase-alignment-TXPHINITDONE-never-asserts/td-p/907794

Specifically the section about bit errors.

Thank you,

mmbb

0 Kudos

Hi @meepmeep_beepbeep,

I had discussion with the higher experts this is what they have  delivered "IN Vivado GTPE2 primitives are not supported and  in-case user is able to use on the Vivado with the meeting timing then he can use it with out using the GTP2 .

Chandra  

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos

hi @meepmeep_beepbeep,

here is your query :

Essentially, my application of the core does not require HDCP - and the maximum bandwidth I need to support is HBR2, so if those are the only limitations I should be able to use the core.

if the tool support it , then we can use it .

Chandra 

Regards
Chandra sekhar

0 Kudos