UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sunkim
Observer

About XFI

Jump to solution

Dear Expert..

I need to use the XFI for 10G Ethernet PHY. However, there was no in the GTH wizard protocol.

Could you give us the tips how to generate the XFI??

Thanks,

Sun

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer sunkim
Observer

Re: About XFI

Jump to solution

Yes, you are right. Our application is 10G Copper for physical layer and logical layer is CPRI.

Thanks for your good feedback.

Sun

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @sunkim,

if the protocol you want is not in the selection list of the transceiver wizard you would need to use the 'start from scratch' template and change the transceiver setting to the requirements you have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer sunkim
Observer

Jump to solution

Yes,

However, we don't know the CDR value or Bandwidth in the GTH for XFI.

Thus, if you have any information for XFI, could you give us some information for XFI.

For example, XFI is equal to 10G Ethernet protocol and so on.

I think the Xilinx have some of information for XFI.

Thanks,

Sun

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The transceiver Wizard doesn't have a preset called "XFI" but it does have one called "10GBase-R".  Use that.

"XFI" is the name given to the serial connection between the FPGA and an XFP optical module.  10GBase-R is the name of the protocol that we run over the fibre (and hence also over the XFI) for Ethernet.

You will also need an I2C controller and some GPIO to properly control and monitor an XFP module.  The transceiver Wizard will not help you with that.

Actually I'm a little confused: XFI implies XFP, which shouldn't be appearing in new designs in 2018, XFP having been (almost completely) replaced by SFP+ in new designs about a decade back.  But you are using GTH, which doesn't sound that old.

Do you have some extreme requirement (e.g. > 120km) that can't be met in SFP+ ?

EDIT: XFI is pronounced "Ziffie".  I designed my first XFP board in 2003, which should give you an idea of how old these things are.

Observer sunkim
Observer

Jump to solution

Yes, you are right. Our application is 10G Copper for physical layer and logical layer is CPRI.

Thanks for your good feedback.

Sun

0 Kudos