Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Adding PLL for Artix7

Hello

I want to add PLL for my Artix 7 project. I know that I can use the Clock wizard for PLL.

But in this wizard it is asking the exact frequency of input clock. I know only the range of frequency which I  willl received 

from GTP Clock data recovery circuit. But the CDR output will vary time to time depanding on the input at GTP. 

Pls let us know how can I implement the PLL in this senario when the Input clock frequency is not fixed?

Thanks

Manish

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Adding PLL for Artix7

Hi @manb 

Would you refer the following URL ?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp888_7Series_DynamicRecon.pdf

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Adding PLL for Artix7

As an aside,

The Giga Bit Trancevers, have thier own tightly integrated PLL's , which are not part of the standard PLL one instantiates in the FPGA.

What are you trying to do withtis PLL that locks to the GT links ?

Normaly , one would expect the interface to the GT''s to be asyncornous to the on FPGA clock,

part of the block in the GT's is the final fifo that is used for the cross clock domain .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Adding PLL for Artix7

hi @manb 

the CDR can track incoming data. but the incoming data's clock should be fixed. if the incoming data's clock frequency is not fixed, the CDR cannot follow it automatically. you have to change the CDR settings on the fly and reset GT to make sure CDR can re-lock to the new frequency.

Thanks,

Boris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos