UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I enable/ disable the GTH 8b10b encoder on the run?

I know it's possible when configuring it, but I would like to have is a transceiver able to swap between scrambling and encoding on the go. I am aware this implies a data rate change as well. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Can I enable/ disable the GTH 8b10b encoder on the run?

According to the GTH User Guide there are TX8B10BBYPASS and TX8B10BEN signals so I guess so.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Can I enable/ disable the GTH 8b10b encoder on the run?

hi,

you need a reset and the fabric should be able to switch between multiple of 8 and multiple of 10 bits data width. You can run a simulation:

1) drive the TX with a PRBS generator

2) when TX and RX 8B10B is present just look at RX disparity error and out of table

3) bypass the encoder/decoder, change bus width  ... prepare to read multiple of 10 bits at receiver side and bring them to a PRBS checker. apply a reset

You might create two Wizard example design cases, with and without 8B10B encoder: this will guide for clock frequencies and HSSIO setup (and in case of UltraScale device it will also give you a good example of parallel PRBS generator/checker)