UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

CoaXpress to Fiber Design

Hello, I'm looking to design a board that takes in CoaXpress data and converts it to fiber. I'm looking at using the EQCO62R20.3 Asymmetric Coax Equalizer to connect to the CoaXpress camera and here's my question. The EQC's SDO/SDI pins are CML and I see that the SPF+ Fiber Transceiver IO pins are also CML. Can I simply connect these to devices together? Or, must I need and FPGA to make this conversion from CoaXpress to Fiber? I've seen some boxes that one can purchase that will make this conversion but I need to do a hardware design. 

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: CoaXpress to Fiber Design

hi @Anonymous,

thanks for contacting Xilinx forums ,

from your query I believe your trying to interface  coaxial  cable to fiber optical cable since CoaXPress (CXP) is an asymmetric high speed serial communication standard over coaxial cable. The most common application is to interface cameras to computers (via frame grabbers) on applications (such as machine vision) which involve automated acquisition and analysis of images.

can you please share the block diagram.

Chandra 

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

SPF+ Fiber Transceiver IO pins are also CML

Not quite.  SFP+ transceivers have AC coupled inputs (and outputs).  It would probably still work though.

EDIT: I assume you only need the downlink channel; the uplink channel may not work as its bitrate may be too low for some SFP+ modules.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my block diagram.

DEMO1.gif 

It is quite possible that you cannot connect the CML outputs of the EQC device to the CML IO pins of the Fiber Transceiver. If that is correct then I will need to bring the CML EQC IO pins into an FPGA for processing and then send it out CML to the Fiber Transceiver pins.

Joe

0 Kudos