UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Does DC-Coupled link work for SLVS-EC with 7-Series Transceiver?

Jump to solution

Looking at the Artix 7 FPGA Datasheet, the transceiver common mode input voltage is equivalent to two third of GTP analog supply voltage (Typical 1.2V * 2/3 = 0.8V)

The Image Sensor Output having 160mV<Vcm<260mV common mode voltage.

Does this mean there is no way to implement DC-Coupled link for SLVS-SC with Artix7 GTP?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Does DC-Coupled link work for SLVS-EC with 7-Series Transceiver?

Jump to solution

Hello nsy_0415@hotmail.com 

I think those numbers are the spec value.  Sony sensors have a programmable output swing level. (please confirm on each sensor datasheet)
So, if you can ensure that peak-to-peak input voltage at GTP transceiver input pin is larger than 150mV, AC-coupling connectivity should be okay.

Regards
Leo

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello nsy_0415@hotmail.com 

Yes, your understanding is correct. The link will not work.
Do you have any particular reason using DC-coupling ? AC coupling will work just fine for your usecase.

I see some GTX users using DC coupling for their system, but most of them use it because they have to.
For example users may use data decoding without a good DC balance (i.e. 8B10B encoding is not used, Data-Scramble is not used etc ) so AC coupling is not an option.
For your case, SLVS-EC is using 8B10B encoding, so I don't see any reason for not using AC-coupling.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Jump to solution

Hello @karnanl ,

Thanks for the confirmation.
According to the Artix-7 datasheet, the spec for differential peak-to-peak input voltage is min:150mV & max: 2000mV

while the AC swing for SLVS-EC is 140mV<Vdiff(ac)<290mV.

Is it risky to use AC-coupled in this case as well?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello nsy_0415@hotmail.com 

I think those numbers are the spec value.  Sony sensors have a programmable output swing level. (please confirm on each sensor datasheet)
So, if you can ensure that peak-to-peak input voltage at GTP transceiver input pin is larger than 150mV, AC-coupling connectivity should be okay.

Regards
Leo

View solution in original post