UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer alexeytea
Observer

Failed clock routing for Kintex Ultrascale+ GTH transceiver

Jump to solution

Hello!

I am trying to implement a GTX transceiver in the Kintex U+ (xcku5pffv900).

Differential source clock coming to the pins Y5/Y6 (bank 225), there I connect them to the IBUFDS_GTE4 and the output clock from here is connected to the GTX refclk_in.
But after implementation vivado (2018.3) is inferring a BUFGCE between IBUFDS_GTE4 and GTX, hence it fails to route it. 
The error is "The IBUFDS_GTE4 O pin may only be connected to the GTREFCLK pin of a GTE4_CHANNEL. The IBUFDS_GTE4 O pin cannot drive gtye4_channel_gen./../../../GTYE4_CHANNEL_PRIM_INST."

I tried to use an example design with the same clk input pins. There the IBUFGDS_GTE4 is connected the same way as I did in my design. But there no BUFGCE is inferred and the implementation finishes without warnings. No extra commands in the xdc file are written.

I've also added "set property CLOCK_BUFFER_TYPE NONE" in my xdc, but it did not help.

Any suggestions?

Top hdl file is just connected instances of IBUFDS_GTE4, gtwizard_wrapper and my ip core.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Failed clock routing for Kintex Ultrascale+ GTH transceiver

Jump to solution

Hi @alexeytea ,

if you want to use the reference clock input as the free running system clock, you would need to connect it through the ODIV2 output of IBUFDS_GTE4 to fabric. The 'O' output can only drive the transceiver primitives refclk inputs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Observer alexeytea
Observer

Jump to solution

And, of course, only after writing this post I figured out that in the example design gtwiz_reset_clk_freerun_in and gtrefclk_in is two separate clocks, and the  gtwiz_reset_clk_freerun_in is going through the BUFGCE buffer. I just connected both of them to the output of IBUFDS_GTE4.

Adding the buffer between reset clk and the IBUFDS_GTE4 did nothing. But without reset clk at all implementation goes fine.

So the question now is: how can I clock reset helper block from mgtrefclk or, if it is not possible, do I really need that block? 

UPDATE: well, considering the debug core could not detect usrclk from GTX and my logic block outputs nothing, it is safe to assume that I need this init/reset helper block. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @alexeytea ,

if you want to use the reference clock input as the free running system clock, you would need to connect it through the ODIV2 output of IBUFDS_GTE4 to fabric. The 'O' output can only drive the transceiver primitives refclk inputs.

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution

View solution in original post