UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

GTH QPLL valid N values

Jump to solution

Hi,

Some background:

I'm designing a JESD204B interface for the Kintex Ultrascale (xcku115-flva1517-2-i). The interface will need to run at a number of different frequencies (about 10 different frequencies) which are dynamically configured. The transciever reference clock will need to be common for all interface frequencies so I want to work out the optimum reference clock value in order to get as close as possible to the interface frequencies I want to achieve. Obviously to calculate this I need to know all of the clock divider and feedback divider possibilities in the QPLL.

My question:

Playing around with the JESD204 PHY (4.0) wizard I've selected a reference clock of 122.88MHz to achieve a line rate of 6.4512Gbps. Looking at the generated IP files this has been achieved using an "N" value of QPLL0_FBDIV=105. However, the transciever user guide UG576 doesn't list 105 as a valid value. The values it lists are: 16, 20, 32, 40, 60, 64, 66, 75, 80, 84, 90, 96, 100, 112, 120, 125, 150, 160. So is UG576 out of date? Or have I missed something else? It would be really good to know all possible M, N and D values for the QPLL so that I can properly calculate the optimum reference clock without having to use the wizard and a "trial and error" method.

Thanks

Ed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: GTH QPLL valid N values

Jump to solution

Hello Ed,

The new UG576 has been fixed and you will find the complete range or supported feedback divider values.

Thanks, kind regards,

Giovanni

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

for Ultrascale GTH QPLL0/1 the valid integer feedback divider N settings as shown in Figure 2-13, page 48 are 16, 20, 32, 40, 60, 64, 66, 75, 80, 84, 90, 96, 100, 112, 120, 125, 150, and 160.

Ultrascale+ GTH has integer feedback divider from 16 to 160 with no holes.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back to me. You've confirmed what the documentation says, but my query is why I'm seeing different behaviour to the documentation.

Please can you explain why I am able to select feedback divider N settings which aren't what the documentation says? I have my Vivado project set up for the Kintex Ultrascale (so not an Ultrascale+ device) so surely the JESD204 PHY (4.0) wizard should only allow me to compile the IP with the Ultrascale values (not the Ultrascale+ values, which I understand are more comprehensive). In that case, how am I able to compile the IP for the Kintex Ultrascale and end up with a value of 105 for the feedback divider? It seems to be in direct conflict with the documentation.

Thanks

Ed

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello,

you are right the IP is in contrast with the UG. I need to verify this with the developers. Please give us some time to provide you an answer.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Ed,

The new UG576 has been fixed and you will find the complete range or supported feedback divider values.

Thanks, kind regards,

Giovanni

View solution in original post