Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eskull@0
Contributor
Contributor

GTH RX/TX pins - what are they for???

Jump to solution

I have a really fundamental question about instantiating GTH transceivers (in this case, in KU060, down inside a 10GbE core). UG576 is not clear to me on this subject. 

The 10GbE core I am using has ports for rx and tx lines, that are wired from the underlying GTH core, that are brought out of the top-level file for the 10GbE core. Also, the GTH cores generated by the GTH wizard always has these rx/tx ports when I have run that tool. 

The UG576 user Interface port descriptions don't mention these rx/tx lines. The pin description table in UG576 (e.g., Table 5-1) lists MGTRXP(N) and similar for MGTTX, as the differential rx/tx pairs.

I read on the following forum (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/GTH-GTY-LOC-constraints-package-pin-vs-channel/m-p/1048517) that rx/tx lines should be brought out to the top level of the FPGA design, even when assigning the MGT's via the X#Y# constraint (rather than pin constraints). Which is how I'm doing the instantiation (X#Y#).

Are these rx/tx lines actually the serial transceiver pin signals connected to the board? If not, how are these rx/tx lines used? 

Digging a bit deeper, on the board hardware I am testing with, there are no provisions (no pin connections to the baord) for the 16 port/pins I would need to actually bring these out, unless these are the actual serial transceiver signals. Running PAR with rx/tx ports in the top level but no pin assignments, the placer (I guess...) somehow assigns pins to these rx/tx ports. Comparing the pin assignments (impl io place report) with the schematic, it turns out the assigned pins are the corresponding transceiver rx/tx lines that connect the FPGA transceiver pins to the FMC connector to which the corresponding QSFP transceiver signals are connected to.

So my questions:

-To make sure I am not off in the weeds here, are these rx/tx signal lines the actual GTH rx/tx pin signals?

-And, is it correct (and required ?) to route these rx/tx signals to top level ports in the design, and then NOT assign pin locations (again, assuming we are using the X#Y# constraint method)? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roym

These are the actual TX and RX pins.  They do not need location constraints because the GT wizard will located the GT_CHANNEL and that locates the TX and RX pins as well.  These are IO's so they must go to the top level.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
roym

These are the actual TX and RX pins.  They do not need location constraints because the GT wizard will located the GT_CHANNEL and that locates the TX and RX pins as well.  These are IO's so they must go to the top level.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

View solution in original post

0 Kudos