Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

[GTH]: RXRECCLKOUT connection 16 lane Tx and RX Protocol

Jump to solution

evaluation Board :ZCU104.

Purpose: test 16 lane TX and RX Protocol.

1. Is it Possible to connect RXRECCLKOUT to RX (as shown in the diagram)?

2. Is it possible TX and Rx in same FPGA and Test by Internal LoopBack (Near end) and External Loopback (with ac coupled) ?

3. For   GTH pin that has some direct connection ( say to HDMI ) in evaluation Board, will it possible to test our custom protocol (only internal Loopback) ?

GTH.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @pprajith89 

(1) I don't this clock connectivity possible.
You can connect RXRECLK output from one channel to OBUFDS_GTE3/4_ADV, but OBUFDS_GTE3/4 output cannot be connected to QPLL input directly. OBUFDS_GTE3/4 output will go to external pin.QPLL0 input should be feed from external MGTHREFCLK pins.

(2) Yes, this is a supported usecase

(3) I think this is possible.

Kind regards
Leo

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @pprajith89 

(1) I don't this clock connectivity possible.
You can connect RXRECLK output from one channel to OBUFDS_GTE3/4_ADV, but OBUFDS_GTE3/4 output cannot be connected to QPLL input directly. OBUFDS_GTE3/4 output will go to external pin.QPLL0 input should be feed from external MGTHREFCLK pins.

(2) Yes, this is a supported usecase

(3) I think this is possible.

Kind regards
Leo

View solution in original post

Highlighted

In addition for 1.  It would be possible to take the recovered clock off chip run it through a pll to clean the jitter and then use it as a reference clock but it could not be used to run the channel it is recovering the clock from.  You need a refclk to recover a clock but you need the recovered clock to generate the refclk.   There is a way, however, to use the recovered clock from the channel to modulate the fractional divider to modify the refclk frequency such that the TX is basically running off the recovered clock as the refclk.  See XAPP1276  https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1276-vcxo.pdf 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Observer
Observer
thanks will check this document.