UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

GTH TX to 75 Ohm coaxial cable @12Gbps

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a solution to interface GTH Tx to 75 Ohm coaxial cables @12Gbps?  And similarly for the other direction.  Either using active devices or passive networks.  

I have tried SDI and CoaxPress 12G transceivers, but IBERT test does not work over them.  I suspect their built-in reclocker function is line encoding sensitive and rejects the pseudo random data used for IBERT test.  CoaxPress uses 8B/10B and SDI uses its own scrambling algo.  

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: GTH TX to 75 Ohm coaxial cable @12Gbps

Assuming your looking at SDI video ?

have you looked at the SDI video dirver / receivers ?

e.g.   LMH1219

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi John,

I had tried Macom and Semtech SDI 12G TX and RX ICs.  I could not get IBERT link up with them.  I am sure the Macom SDI hardware is working because I can send 12G SDI video over them.  I am surprised when I switch to IBERT I can't even get a link up.

Their datasheet mentioned it has built-in reclockers, so I suspect these ICs will detect for SDI standard's own line coding before turning on their outputs

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Do you have the macom parts with the built in eye checker ?

thats normaly a good start point,

provided the iBert is at the correct clock frequency, why should not the buffers work ? 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi John,

My intent is to use SDI transmitter and receivers to send non-SDI data and to convert GT differential signals to 75 Ohm coax signals.  So I use FPGA IBERT as a test to see if these transceivers allows non-SDI signals to pass through.

I believe besides frequency, SDI reclockers are actually line encoding sensitive.  I hope someone can confirm/refute this.

Regards,

Neo

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi wtneo@leica 

maybe you can check with Macom and Semtech to see if the PRBS pattern is allowed in the reclockers.

Thanks,

Boris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Boris,

Yeah working on that.  Meanwhile I am also asking if anyone knows of other solutions.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos