cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

GTH transceiver single ended output

Does anyone see any problem in having a GHT transceiver output, terminating one end, and sending the other through a 50-ohm coax as a single-ended signal? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @archangel-lightworks 

Xilinx Transceivers are not intended to be used as a single-ended signal. This kind of usage is not recommended for a product. Please use HP bank I/O instead.

# If this is for experiment, please go ahead and try.
   But please don't expect giga-hertz signal will be transmitted correctly since single-ended signal is more noise susceptible than differential signal.

Thanks & regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I need to use the GTH trasceiver to send data at 2 GHz, I think the HP banks ar not an option.

The receiver is single ended, is what I have, the cabling in between is going to be short (cm)

My idea is that if both ends are terminated with a matching impedance, it makes no difference to the transceiver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @archangel-lightworks 

>My idea is that if both ends are terminated with a matching impedance, it makes no difference to the transceiver.

Hmmm, at least it will not damage GTH transmitter, so you may do some experiment on HW at your own risk.
I am a bit skeptical about the signal quality on your RX side.

Please note that Xilinx never test/verify transceivers for single-ended signal usage.

Regards
Leo