UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jc101
Visitor

GTH transceivers stop working and require cold boot after a while

Hi,

I am trying to use the GTH transceiver for 10Gb ethernet on the Avnet Ultrascale Kintex development board. I modified the example design, program it thru a JTAG cable and was able to maintain an IDLE link to a 10Gb ethernet NIC on my PC. However, something strange happened to the design.

After I leave the design on the board for 1-2 days, the design will stop working. And using the VIO within the core I can see that the core was somehow reset (which I dunno why) and the reset is not complete. Moreover, I can see that the "gtpowergood" signal of the core is not high and thus the reset is not completed. I tried to reprogram the FPGA with the same image but the GTH will fail and stuck at the same stage even if I reprogram the fpga.

Finally if I power cycle the FPGA and load the same image, everything will turn back normal.. for a day or two.

Has anyone encountered the same problem before?

Thanks

JC

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: GTH transceivers stop working and require cold boot after a while

Hi @jc101,

Have you probed the power supplies (MGTAVCC, MGTAVTT, MGTAVCCAUX) on the board when the issue happens? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would install an ILA to monitor the reset and reset state machine to try to track down what is triggering the reset.  Could the FPGA be getting too hot?

Roy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visitor jc101
Visitor

I am using the avnet kintex development with ku040

It turns out that the 1.8V mgtvaux voltage to the FPGA will sometimes turned off (I can see the  LED of that power rail is off). And that's why the GTH stop working.

However, I cannot figure out why that power stop working. I've pull-down all the unused PINs. So I suppose the 2 I2C pins connected to the programming interface to the PMBus power supply will be off too. Don't really know what happened.

Does anyone has any experience using GTH on this particular board?

Thanks

JC

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

there could be many reasons why a power supply drops. Somethimes it is just the voltage regulator enabling the overcurrent protection. You might try to stress the device and force an high current (there are examples of hammer test) or high temperature.

Probably the Avnet board comes with a schematic: from the power supply datasheet you could try to discover if the power supply has margin respect to your design.