cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eraguzin
Visitor
Visitor

GTX IBERT test, can you lock onto other data from another source?

Jump to solution

The IBERT manual states that "Each GTX transceiver enabled in the IBERT design has a pattern generator and a pattern
checker. The pattern generator sends data out through the transmitter. The pattern checker
accepts data through the receiver and checks it against an internally generated pattern."

Does the pattern checker look for the pattern in general, or the pattern that specifically came from the transmitter?

To put it more clearly, if I have an external source for a PRBS-15 signal (say an ASIC or other test instrument), can I connect that to the IBERT Rx and have it recognized? The signal should be the same pattern that's expected (x^15+x^14+ 1), but it won't be synchronous to the pattern being generated at the TX side of the IBERT. Is that ok, or does that pattern checker need the actual location of the PRBS-15 signal coming from the generator?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roym

The IBERT experts tell me it was meant to be used, and is supported, for running the GT with TX data looped back to the RX.  

In theory and as far as I've seen in practice an externally generated PRBS with the same standard polynomial will work as well.  Of course the TX parameters shown on the IBERT menu have no effect in that case.

I should note that the IBERT does not use the GT based PRBS generator and checker.  It does these functions in RTL.  The GT based checker will work with externally generated PRBSs that use the same standard polynomials.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
roym

The IBERT experts tell me it was meant to be used, and is supported, for running the GT with TX data looped back to the RX.  

In theory and as far as I've seen in practice an externally generated PRBS with the same standard polynomial will work as well.  Of course the TX parameters shown on the IBERT menu have no effect in that case.

I should note that the IBERT does not use the GT based PRBS generator and checker.  It does these functions in RTL.  The GT based checker will work with externally generated PRBSs that use the same standard polynomials.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

View solution in original post

0 Kudos