cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

GTX Transceiver Margin Analysis, Verctical voltage range

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm working with a Kintex-7 device and try to run a Margin Analysis with the GTX Transceiver. The scan provides a vertical offset setting, which changes the voltage threshold between -127 and 127 voltage codes.

I couldn't find a place where the value of these voltage codes are defined. I'd like to get a value in mV corresponding to a single voltage code, to estimate the transmission margin in mV.

Is there a way to find out? I found that the differential input voltage swing depends on the receiver settings, so the mV per voltage code will be different depending on the receiver setup. Is there anything else to take into account? Would it be save to assume, that if My maximum voltage swing is 2000mV (Vdpp), That a single code would match 2000/254 = 7.9 mV?

The only resource I found was an old forum entry which stated 2mV per voltage code, but with no reference to any documentation.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

After the input signal goes through equalization which will vary the amplitude based on the frequency and has an Automatic Gain Control stage it may not make sense to talk in terms of a voltage conversion (and how could you measure it anyway). 

That said, the conversion we use is 1.89 mv/code. 

We generally look for 45 codes (85mv) in the vertical to be satisfied with the margin assuming you are meeting the specs and the guidelines for noise on the power supplies and the jitter on the refclk.

Edited for completeness:  We look for .35 ui in the horizontal.  Both of these conditions are for a BER on the scan of 10 to the -12 and assume you're meeting all datasheet specs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I think,

the output voltage and the reading you have are not calibrated.

The +- 127 I think is a ratio metric measurement,

"About" is the best your going to get.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Highlighted

After the input signal goes through equalization which will vary the amplitude based on the frequency and has an Automatic Gain Control stage it may not make sense to talk in terms of a voltage conversion (and how could you measure it anyway). 

That said, the conversion we use is 1.89 mv/code. 

We generally look for 45 codes (85mv) in the vertical to be satisfied with the margin assuming you are meeting the specs and the guidelines for noise on the power supplies and the jitter on the refclk.

Edited for completeness:  We look for .35 ui in the horizontal.  Both of these conditions are for a BER on the scan of 10 to the -12 and assume you're meeting all datasheet specs.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. If we have a approximate reference point to check we are happy, as long as we have some guidelines.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

A quick follow up: You state you look for 45 voltage codes to be satisfied with a link. Do you have similar guidelines for the horizontal range? We're looking for a pass/fail mask for a input signal, but as you already stated, The measurement is after Clock correction, so one cannot directly apply margins for a signal standard, as this is already the "improved" signal.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We look for .35 ui in the horizontal.  Both of these conditions are for a BER on the scan of 10 to the -12.

0 Kudos