UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer aobeid
Observer

Info: jitter integration bandwidth when using GTX/H/Z?

Hi all

I'm relatively new to phase noise/jitter. In our prototype we're interested in using line rates of 6.6 Gbps and 12.5 Gbps. There are a variety of companies that offer clock synthesizer that we can use to generate a reference clock for our transceivers. When browsing through the possibilities, I'm faced with question of the "jitter integration bandwidth". For example, in the link below, this range is set by default: https://www.silabs.com/tools/Pages/phase-noise-jitter-calculator.aspx

Is this range specified by Xilinx for its transceivers? For example, Xilinx does specify the offset frequencies along with the phase noise: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44549.html

What can directly influence this range?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Info: jitter integration bandwidth when using GTX/H/Z?

Hi,

we only specify the phase noise mask for the transceiver reference clock and not an integrated value.

Please choose a reference clock source that provides the phase noise information.

Otherwise you might choose a source that violates the mask and you might run into performance issues on your link.

Best regards,

Erik

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer aobeid
Observer

Re: Info: jitter integration bandwidth when using GTX/H/Z?

Hi Erik

Thanks for your reply.

As you've mentioned, we're following the recommendations with respect to phase noise/reference clock.

The lacking information is the jitter RMS value. In order to get this value, it must be either directly written in a Xilinx documentation or calculated based on other values provided by Xilinx (e.g. phase noise table in the link provided above).

Using an online calculator like the one provided by SiLabs requires one more input (in addition to the phase noise table) which is the "jitter integration bandwidth".

Another accepted answer will be to directly provide me with the jitter RMS value i.e. Should the jitter RMS value be:

# ~ 0.3 ps

# ~ 0.125 ps

# ~ 0.08 ps

Please keep in mind that the intended line rate will always be closer to the upper limit supported by XC7K160T-2FBG where all lanes will be used.

0 Kudos