UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

LVPECL oscillator

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Iam using a lvpecl oscillator for my MGT refclocks. (156.25).the termination to be provided is AC termination for MGT's.

i have followed as follows 150 0hms near oscillator and capacitor.

lvpecl.jpg

but is it required to add 50 ohms pull down resistors near reciever?or FPGA internal termination can be  enabled for LVPECL t  catering to 50 ohms functionality near fpga??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: LVPECL oscillator

Jump to solution

hello,

for short, ideal, low loss channels as in the REFCLK case, the LVDS signal measured at input pins is electrically compatible. I would recommend LVDS especially for UltraScale and UltraScale+ devices where the bidirectional buffer is sensitive to too wide signal swing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

In all the FPGA families, the MGT refclock inputs have 50 ohm internal termination.   Don't attach any external termination resistors.   All they need is the AC coupling capacitor.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Oscillator we selected is CDCM61004 from TI. which can give outputs LVDS/LVPECL,for MGT's is it better to select LVPECL?since LVPECL is having more swing compared to LVDS.is internal terminations internaly selected according to IOSTANDARD?

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Either LVDS or LVPECL will work, but I tend to favor LVDS drivers, since they don't need external resistors.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hello,

for short, ideal, low loss channels as in the REFCLK case, the LVDS signal measured at input pins is electrically compatible. I would recommend LVDS especially for UltraScale and UltraScale+ devices where the bidirectional buffer is sensitive to too wide signal swing.

View solution in original post