Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

MGT Clocks: Do I need More?

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm using a big Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSOC that has a lot of MGTH pins. I'm using three pairs tx/rx for three fiber transceivers and the other pins I am going to a expansion header. The spare MGTH pins have no immediate need but we put them to a header for future use Do I need to supply two clocks for each Quad?

Transceiver_Clocks.jpgTransceiver_Clocks2.jpg

Here is my programmable clock generator.

ClockGen.jpg

Should I add another clock generator and supply clocks to all the MGT Reference Clocks?

Thank you

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Thank you for supposing I think. Feel flattered.

"At this time I don't know what I will do with those MGT pins"

That looks like pure research (what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing).

It looks like a dev or multi-purpose board (?). In that case I would have one/ several of these I2C-programmable multi-output clock generators (SiLabs has thousands) so you can have same or different frequencies, even disable the unused ones, etc.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Looking good that little beast.

One ref clock for all the MGTs in the quad or two, it depends on how you will use them.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello and thank you for responding to my message. Yes, I was expecting that as answer. At this time I don't know what I will do with those MGT pins. If I make all the clocks the same frequency I could use a fanout buffer but that limits me. I guess I will break down and add in another clock generator device.

What do you think?

Thank you

Joe

0 Kudos
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Thank you for supposing I think. Feel flattered.

"At this time I don't know what I will do with those MGT pins"

That looks like pure research (what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing).

It looks like a dev or multi-purpose board (?). In that case I would have one/ several of these I2C-programmable multi-output clock generators (SiLabs has thousands) so you can have same or different frequencies, even disable the unused ones, etc.

View solution in original post

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos