Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Maximum bandwidth of SFP/QSFP connectors

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I am comparing the maximum achievable bandwidths of two evaluation boards using the SFP/QSFP interface: "UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU102" vs "Virtex UltraScale+ HBM VCU128". This is going to be the differentiating parameter to buy one board or the other (I know already the Virtex doesn't have an ARM core, but at the moment is not important).

I have basically 3 questions, all related to maximum bandwidth using all SFP connectors at the same time:

1. For the ZCU102: according to the user guide each SFP connector is connected to a GTH transceiver. Each GTH is 16.3 Gb/s capable => maximum bandwidth is 4 x 16.3 = 65.2 Gb/s .. is this right?
  2. For the VCU128: according to the user guide it has 4x28Gb/s QSFP+ connectors => maximum bandwidth is 112 Gb/s .. right?. The "quad" terminology is confusing, does it means 4x4x28=448Gb/s??
  3. The peak bandwidth presented in the table here multiplies the "performance" column by 2 to obtain "combined transmit and receive" bandwidth. Does it also apply to the SFP connectors? Should I multiply the numbers from before by 2 (full-duplex?) or divide by 2 (half-duplex?) to obtain combined bandwith?

Thanks for reading! and hopefully you can help me

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @lgodoydiaz 

a. While SFP+ in ZCU102 board can support maximum bandwidth 4x16=64Gbps

b. VCU128 board has a Quad QSFP28 connector. So total of 4x4=16 GTY channels are connected to this connector. Each QSFP28 connector is designed to be used with 100Gbps Ethernet (or 2 x 50GE )
So theoretically maximum bandwidth of this connector is 4x4x28=448 Gbps

c. The maximum bandiwdth mentioned above is for both TX and RX channels,
So, if you need to combined TX and RX bandwidth (full-duplex) , you can multiply those number by 2.

Thanks
Leo

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @lgodoydiaz 

a. While SFP+ in ZCU102 board can support maximum bandwidth 4x16=64Gbps

b. VCU128 board has a Quad QSFP28 connector. So total of 4x4=16 GTY channels are connected to this connector. Each QSFP28 connector is designed to be used with 100Gbps Ethernet (or 2 x 50GE )
So theoretically maximum bandwidth of this connector is 4x4x28=448 Gbps

c. The maximum bandiwdth mentioned above is for both TX and RX channels,
So, if you need to combined TX and RX bandwidth (full-duplex) , you can multiply those number by 2.

Thanks
Leo

View solution in original post