Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srdjan.opacic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Maximum skew on 8x GTX TX

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out maximum possible skew caused by TX buffer, in order to decide should I bypass it or not. I expect that maximum possible skew is defined by depth of this buffer, or? My interface uses 2 full quads, with inputs completely aligned/synchronized to the same clock.

Thanks

Srdjan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
roym

Yes, In theory the depth of the TX buffer indicates the maximum skew you might see.  I think in practice the skew would rarely if ever get more than 2 usrclk cycles out of alignment through that buffer if the resets are handled properly.  Any temperature drift would tend to send the channel's skew in the same direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

0 Kudos
srdjan.opacic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @roym ,

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me what is the depth of TX buffer? I can't seem to find that number anywhere.

Best regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos
srdjan.opacic
Adventurer
Adventurer

I just received info that my skew on TXD data pairs has to be below 15UI. My internal data bus is 16-bit, i use 8B10B conversion, so when you say max 2 user clocks, that would translate to 40 UI, correct? Can this skew be reduced to 0 by using RX BUFFER bypass (because just one user clock would translate to 20UI)?

Thanks

Srdjan

0 Kudos
roym

In that case you don't want to use the TX buffer. 2 userclks is 40 ui and it is possible for it to be higher.  If you bypass the TX buffer the TX skew will be limited to 500 ps. I answer your question for sure without knowing your line rate.  I believe this is less than 15ui at the max GTX speed so you will be good.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590

0 Kudos
srdjan.opacic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @roym ,

Thanks, this sounds like it would be acceptable for me. My line rate is currently 2.97 Gbps, so one UI is 336.7 ps. I agree, even if my line rate increases, this should be sufficient.

Best regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos