Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gskumar
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding GT Debugger

Jump to solution

Hi,

For transceiver link tuning, which tool I should use - IBERT or GT Debugger (as explained in XAPP1322)?

I have used IBERT tool. But I am new to GT Debugger tool. 

I'm using GTH transceiver in one my design and I would like to tune the transceiver to get the highest RX margin.

What is the advantage of  uisng GT Debugger tool over IBERT tool? Can somebody give some idea on this?

thanks,

sunil

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
csattar

hi @gskumar ,

The LogiCORE IP  Integrated Bit Error Ratio Tester (IBERT) core is designed for evaluating and monitoring transceivers. This core includes pattern generators and checkers that are implemented in FPGA logic, as well as access to ports and the dynamic reconfiguration port attributes of the GTH transceivers. Communication logic is also included to allow the design to be run-time accessible through JTAG. IBERT eye scan provides a picture of the serial signal error distribution. How can you determine whether the quality of the signal is good or bad? How can you judge from the eye scan if the signal has enough margin? This Long Form Answer Record helps to build a new tool dedicated to automatic eye qualification, combining IBERT with the GT_DEBUGGER (XAPP1322 )

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 Replies
csattar

hi @gskumar ,

The LogiCORE IP  Integrated Bit Error Ratio Tester (IBERT) core is designed for evaluating and monitoring transceivers. This core includes pattern generators and checkers that are implemented in FPGA logic, as well as access to ports and the dynamic reconfiguration port attributes of the GTH transceivers. Communication logic is also included to allow the design to be run-time accessible through JTAG. IBERT eye scan provides a picture of the serial signal error distribution. How can you determine whether the quality of the signal is good or bad? How can you judge from the eye scan if the signal has enough margin? This Long Form Answer Record helps to build a new tool dedicated to automatic eye qualification, combining IBERT with the GT_DEBUGGER (XAPP1322 )

Regards
Chandra sekhar
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

gskumar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chandra,

Thanks for the response. As I understand, with IBERT tool also we can sweep through various transceiver parameters and tune the transceiver. How is this new tool with GT Debugger different from this?

thanks,

sunil

0 Kudos
eschidl
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @gskumar ,

with IBERT you can check your link with PRBS patterns. You will use this design by itself here and you can only control the channel on one side at a time (except you are doing loopback, near end or cable).

GT debugger gives you the option to check your link within your application. It is an in-system debug, so you see the link with your protocol data and with all environment running. Also, if you have access through ethernet to both sides of the channel and both sides are Xilinx GTs (7 series, US, US+) you can tune the link with controlling TX and RX together by sending commands from RX HW manager Tcl console to TX HW manager Tcl console. So it gives you a way to automatically find the best setup until the eye opening is optimised.
GT debugger (XAPP1322/XAPP1295) give you much more additional options to add debug logic to your design if needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
gskumar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Erik,

As per XAPP1322, the GT Debugger method is applicable if both sides of the link are Xilinx parts. But the link partner in my setup doesn't use Xilinx part. Can I still use GT Debugger to tune the transceiver in loopback mode? Or IBERT or In-System IBERT would be sufficient for this?

thanks,

sunil

0 Kudos
eschidl
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Sunil,

you could still tune the link in loopback mode with the rest of your application running in parallel. This would be similar to In-system-IBERT.

In-system-IBERT you would need to add to your project HDL, GT debugger will be added to a DCP of your synthesised netlist without touching your HDL. That is up to your preference here. Except for 7 series as there is no in-system-IBERT IP.

It depends also how you can control the TX of the channel partner. If you could control it, reacting to the commands coming from the GT debugger through ethernet, then you could still use the GT debugger to tune the full link. I think the Tcl code is open for XAPP1322. You could adjust this part to your needs.

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
gskumar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll try to use GT Debugger tool for automatic link tuning and see how it goes.

rgds,

sunil

0 Kudos