Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

SMA input signal Amplitude measurement : KC705

Jump to solution

KC705 , Vivado 2020.1

I have a differential SMA input signals to my board. Don't know to which SMA connector I'll be using.

But, how can we measure the amplitude of the received signal on SMA.

The input signals are coming in from a custom PCB board and the data format will be either ethernet packets or just random data. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @yj 

>I have a differential SMA input signals to my board. Don't know to which SMA connector I'll be using.

If you need to connect this signal to GTX on KC705 board, I think you can use GTX on Quad 117.
(SMA connectors are RX: J17,J18 / TX: J19,J20 / REFCLK: J15,J16)
SMA.png

>But, how can we measure the amplitude of the received signal on SMA.

Signal level measurement is a tricky part if you want to use these SMA connectors, since there no probe-able land/point on the board other than SMA connector itself.
Perhaps connecting the SMA cable output directly to an Oscilloscope will make signal measurement much easy.

measurement_KC705.png

If you can ensure that your signal differential swing level is within the spec stated in table 54,
GTX RX should be able to receive signal from your custom board.

TABLE_54.png

Regards
Leo

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @yj 

>I have a differential SMA input signals to my board. Don't know to which SMA connector I'll be using.

If you need to connect this signal to GTX on KC705 board, I think you can use GTX on Quad 117.
(SMA connectors are RX: J17,J18 / TX: J19,J20 / REFCLK: J15,J16)
SMA.png

>But, how can we measure the amplitude of the received signal on SMA.

Signal level measurement is a tricky part if you want to use these SMA connectors, since there no probe-able land/point on the board other than SMA connector itself.
Perhaps connecting the SMA cable output directly to an Oscilloscope will make signal measurement much easy.

measurement_KC705.png

If you can ensure that your signal differential swing level is within the spec stated in table 54,
GTX RX should be able to receive signal from your custom board.

TABLE_54.png

Regards
Leo

View solution in original post