UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer timi
Observer

SSC support GTY Transceiver

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a Kintex Ultrascale + device(KU3P) running a custom protocol @ 12.5 Gbit/s  8b/10b encoding.

Does the Transceiver support tx and rx spread spectrum clocking? 

The design is only for loopback(outside FPGA, only one FPGA) intended:

FPGA_TX(Pattern Generator) -> Custom ASIC -> FPGA RX(Pattern Checker)

If both TX and RX support SSC, is it sufficient to have one ssc oscillator for both tx and rx qpll ref clock?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: SSC support GTY Transceiver

Jump to solution

SSC support is defined in table 71 of DS922.  Both devices should use the same oscillator and it limited to the lower data rates.

In the advanced section on the GT Wizard the SSC settings can be chosen.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/gtwizard_ultrascale/v1_7/pg182-gtwizard-ultrascale.pdf

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds922-kintex-ultrascale-plus.pdf

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Re: SSC support GTY Transceiver

Jump to solution

hi @timi,

thanks for contacting Xilinx forums .

from your query I believe and assume you would like whether spread spectrum clocking is supported on GTY transceivers on both  TX and RX .

yes is supported but only on the RX side for this information I would suggest you refer the Table 71: GTY Transceiver Receiver Switching Characteristics of the  ds922 .https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds922-kintex-ultrascale-plus.pdf.

let me know your inputs 

Chandra 

if your query is solved please close this thread by accepting the solution 

Regards
Chandra sekhar
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if solution provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer timi
Observer

Jump to solution

hi @csattar

thank you for the reply.

I thought I can just supply a ssc oscillator clock to the tx Transceiver ref clk and thereby generate the modulated jitter on the data!  So this not possible?

Since the Transceiver support different protocols(and ssc e.g. pcie) should it also support on the tx side?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

timi,

While it is possible that using an SSC oscillator to produce the ref clk that the xcvr TX would use could work (due to the SSC frequency (presumably being 30-33KHz) being much lower than the xcvr PLL bandwidth (>1 MHz (presumably)), support for xcvr RX SSC on the incoming serial data is apparently much more of an issue.

Regardless of what DS922 appears to claim regarding SSC support, documentation for the US xcvr Wizard (PG182, v1.7) shows (p.87) that there is limited (i.e., no) support (officially) for anything other than 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps 8b10b SATA (or similar) protocols, at least if the timing of the incoming datastream is completely unrelated to the local ref clk timing (frequency and phase).  There certainly appears to be no (official) support for SSC RX for datarates of above 6Gbps, with even less support provided if the protocol is something other than 8b10b.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hi @timi 

for tx side, it is also supported. i.e., if the ref clock is SSC modulated, then the tx output data is SSC.

assuming SSC is modulated at low frequency like 33Khz.

Thanks,

Boris

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

SSC support is defined in table 71 of DS922.  Both devices should use the same oscillator and it limited to the lower data rates.

In the advanced section on the GT Wizard the SSC settings can be chosen.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/gtwizard_ultrascale/v1_7/pg182-gtwizard-ultrascale.pdf

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds922-kintex-ultrascale-plus.pdf

View solution in original post