cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschamba
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ultrascale+ GTH RX Phase Interpolator

In our project we are using a Kintex Ultrascale to receive data at 1.2Gbps (8b10b encoded, custom protocol) with GTH transceivers. We noticed that due to some activity on the data source electronics, sometimes we see a lot of 8b10b errors, which were traced back to phase changes in the data source.

So my question first of all is how well and fast the CDR in  the GTH transceivers  RX can track the phase of the incoming signal? And the second question then of course is what parameters can be changed to improve the resilience to phase changes in the source

Thanks,

Jo

0 Kudos
2 Replies
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

If they really are phase changes in the data due to interferance,

that are causing 8:10 decoding errors,

then you need to either add error protection to the protocole, or better , fix the problem.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
roym

You can play with the SSC and PPM settings on the first page of the GT wizard to see if there are settings that give you more margin on this channel.  I'm sure they can help some but I doubt it would be a solution.  I've also seen forward error correction added to designs to mask a problem like this.  It is always better to fix something like this if at all possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
Be sure to visit the Resources post periodically to keep up with the latest
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Serial-Transceivers/Serial-Transceiver-Forum-Guidelines-and-Useful-Resources/td-p/1173590
----------------------------------------------------------------------------