Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Unused MGTREFCLK pins

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm working on a Kintex Ultrascale FPGA PCB design with a requirement that no pins are to be left floating.  I'm having trouble with the MGTREFCLK pins, as UG576 instructs to leave unused MGTREFCLK pins floating.  Is it safe to connect these to ground?

Thanks,

Pete.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Unused MGTREFCLK pins

Jump to solution
why no pins to be left floating ?

if you must connect them, try 10nf to ground, it will do no harm and meet your design constraints.

Do not ground the pins, as they have internal bias,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution
why no pins to be left floating ?

if you must connect them, try 10nf to ground, it will do no harm and meet your design constraints.

Do not ground the pins, as they have internal bias,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Thanks for this John. The reason for not leaving floating pins is to avoid a buildup of static on disconnected copper. I see from Figure 5-6 of UG 576 that the bias is through 50 Ohms to 4/5 MGTAVCC. Seeing that I'm already powering this supply, this means that I am actually safe to leave these disconnected.

Many thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Jump to solution

I agree,

but I bet every time that circuit gets reviewed some one will object to "floating" pins,

suggets big not eon Schematic next to pin spointing at the data sheet reference page.

0 Kudos