UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Using RXOUTCLK as reference for PLL Frequency synthesis

Jump to solution

I would like to connect GTX rxdata to a 4:1 OSERDES directly.  OSERDES requires a x1 clock and a x4 clock for 4:1 output.

Therefore I intend to input RXOUTCLK to a PLL, then generate x1 and x4 clock.  The x1 clock is also used as rxusrclk to read out data from GTX.

x1 and x4 clock need to be phase aligned for OSERDES operation.

Question:

Does RXOUTCLK has high jitter due to clock recovery, such that PLL lock will fail?  If this scheme is not recommended, what is the recommened clock topology so that I can constantly stream out rxdata.  I am unable to apply back pressure as data is coming from GTX Rx.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using RXOUTCLK as reference for PLL Frequency synthesis

Jump to solution

RXOUTCLK can drive a PLL.  Any Fabric clock will have too much jitter to drive a GT but it can drive all Fabric interfaces.  In the same way it drives the RXUSRCLK it can drive other things. If it is constrained correctly the timing software will take care of all FPGA interfaces.  I'm not sure about the phase delay of driving this clocking out of the chip.  You must be careful to consider that this clock is only reliable when the RXCDR is locked.  It is not a continuous clock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Using RXOUTCLK as reference for PLL Frequency synthesis

Jump to solution

RXOUTCLK can drive a PLL.  Any Fabric clock will have too much jitter to drive a GT but it can drive all Fabric interfaces.  In the same way it drives the RXUSRCLK it can drive other things. If it is constrained correctly the timing software will take care of all FPGA interfaces.  I'm not sure about the phase delay of driving this clocking out of the chip.  You must be careful to consider that this clock is only reliable when the RXCDR is locked.  It is not a continuous clock.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

View solution in original post

0 Kudos