cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Why use the Trasceiver Wizard?

Hello, seems like I'll always be a newbie but I have a question about the Transceiver Wizard. I see in the Transceiver Wizard that I can pick the Transceiver Configuration such as Aurora64B/66B which is okay and I can also drop in an Aurora64B/66B IP block on my Block Design. So what is so special about the Transceiver Wizard?

Thank you,

Joe

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Why use the Trasceiver Wizard?

Hello Joe

If Aurora 64B66B IP can fit your system requirement, please use Aurora 64B66B IP then. There is no reason to use Transceiver wizard.
( Aurora 64B66B IP has a transceiver macro inside, which is generated by transceiver wizard )

But for users who wants to use "non-standard" protocol, they need to use transceiver wizard to use FPGA transceiver macro features.
There are also some protocols that Xilinx does not have the IPs to support (i.e: SATA, SLVS-EC, MIPI C-PHY, V-by-One) , in this case IP vendors built their IPs with Xilinx transceiver macro inside (which generated by transceiver wizard )

Without transceiver wizard, users need to set transceiver attributes/register one-by-one for thier use-case, which is not an easy task.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, thank you for responding to my message. Quick question for you. I like using the Block Design for my modules but when I click on the + and try to find the Transceiver Wizard it is not listed. Why can't I instantiate the IP in the Block Design?

Respectfully,

Joe

Highlighted

The transceiver wizard just doesn't support block design so far.  It will offer that support in Versal designs at least to a certain degree.  I believe you can do an IP example design and manually make a wrapper for the wizard IP that can be placed into your block design.  I know this is not ideal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------