UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dpfunder
Visitor

-55 Degree C Prom Solutions for Series 7 FPGAs?

All,

I am considering the use of a series 7 FPGA as a logic core for a harsh environment application requiring -55 to 125 degree C operation.   While Xilinx provides multiple FPGA device options guaranteed through this temperature range, I do not see any appropriately rated proms for this temp range.  What programming prom devices are recommended for this type of application?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: -55 Degree C Prom Solutions for Series 7 FPGAs?

A quick DigiKey search finds very little in the way of flash or EPROM or EEPROM that goes down to -55 degrees C.  The only one I could find cost about $500 and had an "extreme" temperature range of -55 to +210 for applications like "down hole energy drilling" (Texas Instruments).  It's also SPI (which should theoretically work) and only runs in single data rate at up to 12 MHz.  So if you decide to use it, I hope you have plenty of start-up time.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Two suggestions as a followup:

1.  Do you have a microprocessor in your system, by which you can configure the FPGA in slave serial mode?

2.  Consider adding a 'heater' to your board design to warm the flash memory (and perhaps the rest of the board) to an ambient temperature within the operating range of the components in your design.  You can configure the heater to turn on when at power-up and be disabled or controlled by the FPGA after configuration.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor dpfunder
Visitor

I was afraid this was going to be the trend in answers. I am aware of the extremely expensive Eeproms available in the temp range and heat control cannot be guaranteed for my applications. I would like to greatly simplify my existing solutions by integrating the logical elements of the design (including the processors), but unfortunately the lack of a reasonable prom solution will greatly impact the trade study. It is wonderful that the FPGA supports full temp ranges, but we are missing a critical element of the solution.
0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

... and heat control cannot be guaranteed for my applications.

Why not?

I would like to greatly simplify my existing solutions by integrating the logical elements of the design (including the processors), but unfortunately the lack of a reasonable prom solution will greatly impact the trade study.

"Simplify" is an inappropriate term to apply to a design requiring operation at -55 degrees C.  Operating at the fringes or limits of your technology is never 'simple'.

It is wonderful that the FPGA supports full temp ranges, but we are missing a critical element of the solution.

Your problem is only starting with the configuration memory.  The config memory is not your only problem.  It is more accurate to say that the FPGA is the least of your temperature range 'problem', and the rest of the board is the rest of your 'problem'.

Agreed?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor dpfunder
Visitor

I agree completely, Bob. I did not mean to sound flippant with my previous response. -55 is in no way a simple environment for which to successfully produce solutions.

Xilinx has an opportunity to replace elements of existing board solutions where the temp range has been successfuly met through other component selections.

We have worked hard to establish solutions at full temp ranges for a wide variety of circuits and applications. I see the potential for a step change in these solutions through configuration and integration.

I have quite a bit of experience seeing the revolutionary changes introduced through high-density FPGAs in my past career in a completely different industry.

Thank you for your research and suggestions, everyone. I'll keep searching and brainstorming as well.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

FYI:

• The device functioning & operation guaranteed for 85 degree C junction temperature for commercial grade chips
  • The device will not damage if junction temperature is below 125 Degree junction temperature for commercial grade chips. But please note that device  functioning & operation not guaranteed in between 85 degree C to 125 degree C junction temperature for commercial grade chips

XILINX Power Estimator(XPE)  tool /Xilinx Power Analyzer (XPA) helps to customer to estimate theJunction temperature.

• Please visit the below site and refer the bellow documents if you have chance

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/power_tools/quick_start.htm

http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/power_central/index.htm

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos