UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Erasing an EEPROM

Jump to solution

When Impact erases an EEPROM (an XCF32, for example), does it just set things back to all 1, or can it be made to write a random pattern first?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Erasing an EEPROM

Jump to solution

If you need a specific pattern for a specific usage (e.g. sanitization), you could alway do this manually, e.g.

Open iMPACT, open a boundary scan window, and initialize the chain with the cable connected and board powered on
erase the PROM

perform a Readback operation on the PROM, specify a target MCS file
convert the read mcs to .hex: promgen -r <filename>.mcs -p hex -o <filename>.hex
modify this hex file with the desired data/pattern with a text editor, making sure to keep the same number of characters
convert the new hex back to mcs: promgen -r <filename>.hex -p mcs -o <filename>.mcs

use iMPACT to program the new .mcs

Of course, don't expect th FPGA to successfully configure this way. Might be a good idea change the FPGA's MODE M[2:0]  pins to something like JTAG or a slave mode instead of a master mode. to avoid  actually trying to configure with this pattern later...

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The XCF series are Flash, which is electrically erasable, but not "EEPROM" in the usual sense of

byte re-writable devices.  It gets erased to all 1's because there is no other "erased" state of the

flash.  You can request that Impact fill unused locations with a value other than FF (all ones), but

it can't do that during the erase, because any other value would not leave the flash writable.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If you need a specific pattern for a specific usage (e.g. sanitization), you could alway do this manually, e.g.

Open iMPACT, open a boundary scan window, and initialize the chain with the cable connected and board powered on
erase the PROM

perform a Readback operation on the PROM, specify a target MCS file
convert the read mcs to .hex: promgen -r <filename>.mcs -p hex -o <filename>.hex
modify this hex file with the desired data/pattern with a text editor, making sure to keep the same number of characters
convert the new hex back to mcs: promgen -r <filename>.hex -p mcs -o <filename>.mcs

use iMPACT to program the new .mcs

Of course, don't expect th FPGA to successfully configure this way. Might be a good idea change the FPGA's MODE M[2:0]  pins to something like JTAG or a slave mode instead of a master mode. to avoid  actually trying to configure with this pattern later...

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

More steps than I'd hoped for, but I can build a sanitization procedure from this. Thanks!

Yeah, I use "EEPROM" purely out of bad habit. I still remember using UV erasers and putting stickers over the little windows. I'm old. :(

0 Kudos
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Jump to solution
> I still remember using UV erasers and putting stickers over the little windows. I'm old. :(

I remember putting a windowed EPROM in the programmer backwards and having it light up!

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

@rcingham wrote:
> I still remember using UV erasers and putting stickers over the little windows. I'm old. :(

I remember putting a windowed EPROM in the programmer backwards and having it light up!

Back in 1979 I remember that we were just starting to build products with microprocessors

instead of just TTL.  We had a new programming guy (it wasn't really "software" in those days)

who had the same experience.  He found it so amusing that he pulled out another EPROM

and showed me.  At the time the 2716 EPROM cost us about $35.  As an aside, the EPROM

and the programmer were both made by Intel.  Apparently adding circuitry to sense incorrect

insertion would be bad for their bottom line...

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos