UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ultrasounder
Visitor

FX2 Micrcontroller JTAG FPGA configuration

Hello,

i am looking at various options to configure a Spartan3E(XC3S500E) part. This device would connect to a PC via Cypress(FX2) USB controller and would boot off a SPI flash(M25P40 Boot Prom).  Initially,I would like to program the bitstream directly to the FPGA using its JTAG pins. Ideally this would be accomplished by using the FX2 to bit-bang the FPGA JTAG pins . Once,the default configuration is loaded in to the FPGA, the FPGA can program the Boot Prom over SPI and can re-configure itself every time from the boot-prom. Can anybody give me pointers on how to go about this as my knowledge of JTAG is very limited.Thanks in advance.

Ananth

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: FX2 Micrcontroller JTAG FPGA configuration

I have used an FX2 to program Xilinx parts several times in the past

and have been very pleased with the results.  One design used the 

Slave Parallel mode to load 8 bits at a time (very fast), another used

the JTAG port and FX2 firmware to bit-bang the data.

In both cases, we used custom firmware along with our custom FX2 driver.  It

was NOT a trivial task.  You can find a lot of pieces on the web, but I don't think

you'll find a complete solution.  There's lots of documentation on the web about

JTAG programming.  I believe Xilinx also has C code in one of their  app-notes

about processing XSVF files to extract the low level bit stream.

I hope this helps.

John Providenza

0 Kudos
Visitor ultrasounder
Visitor

hi John,

thank you much for sharing your experience with me.  i am trying to reverse engineer a platform that has a FX2 whose port D pins(52,53,54,55 and 56) are connected to the JTAG port pins of the Spartan XC3S500E(PQ208). I am not sure if the FX2 uses the GPIF interface bus to bit bang JTAG. The custom firmware lets you stream the FPGA bitstream file directly. All other solutions that I have looked at use a SVF/XSVF player or a parser to decode the underlying bit pattern from a .XSVF file before streaming it to the FPGA. I thought this was interesting.In your implementations, did you parse a XSVF file or did you manage to stream the .BIT file to the FPGA directly?

regards,

Ananth

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

In one design, we used the GPIF and Bulk transfers with the Slave Parallel mode to load

8 bits at a time - very fast.

In another design, we used firmware to bit bang the JTAG i/f.

John Providenza

0 Kudos
Visitor prophet36
Visitor

Sorry for replying to an ancient thread, but I thought I'd post a link to FPGALink[1] here because it may be of interest to others who stumble upon this thread.

FPGALink is an open-source cross-platform library that communicates with an FX2 chip over USB, allowing you to JTAG-program an FPGA, then read and write your FPGA design's registers/FIFOs at ~25MiB/s with an easy-to-use host-side API.

It supports many of the Digilent FPGA boards natively, but there's also an FX2 reference design[2] if you want to make your own PCB.

[1] http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/?page_id=1400

[2] http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/?page_id=446

0 Kudos
Visitor ultrasounder
Visitor

Chris,

Thanks for the links to Your site. I became aware of Your work with the FX2-> FPGA when searching for relevant information. This gives me more inspiration to work on implementing cross platform host applciations based on FX2-> FPGA interfaces.

Thanks again!
Ananth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor yacine.adane
Visitor

Hi Guys,

Does any one willing to share his experience of programing an FPGA with the FX2 using the GPIF.

I am also intrested in progamming a W25Q with the FX2.

Regards,

Yacine

0 Kudos